The Oldest Child

Shelby walked into class the next morning a bit unfocused. She had stayed up a bit too late last night reading up about her uncle and his service history. While it didn't explain why Serius thought her uncle was her father, it did make her feel a bit closer to her uncle. She was also able to find an email address that supposedly belonged to him.

As she took her seat in class, Shelby had chunks of articles from last night playing on repeat in her mind.

"Shelby?....Shelby!" Erasa finally snapped her back into reality a few moments later with a gentle shoulder shake.

"Hm? Oh, sorry, Erasa. What's up?" Shelby asked as she looked at Erasa standing next to her seat before class started.

"Are you okay? You were zoned out really hard."

"Yeah, I'm okay." Shelby reassured her. "I found out... something, but it wasn't exactly for what I thought it'd be."

Erasa was about to ask what Shelby found when Serius walked in. "Good morning, everyone." He announced, causing all the stragglers to find their seats.

"Tell me after class." Erasa requested and promptly went to her seat directly next to Shelby.

**

"So Serius thought your uncle is your father? Do they look alike?" Erasa asked in surprise as she, Drafi, and Shelby were walking home together.

"A little, maybe." Shelby said and brought up a picture of her uncle and one of her father.

"You're right. They look like brothers, yet they're not that similar." Drafi agreed with a curious head tilt.

"I agree, but I CAN see the confusion. You look much more like your Uncle than your father." Erasa pointed out.

Drafi took a few seconds to look between Shelby and her uncle. "Yes, I agree... You're certain your Uncle is actually your uncle?"

Shelby sighed a little. "Honestly, I'm not really sure of anything right now that involves my family tree."

"That's definitely understandable." Erasa tried to comfort her.

"I was able to find an email address that's supposed to be John's. It's a long shot since he hasn't been in active service for so long, but maybe it's something to try?"

"There's certainly no harm in trying." Drafi agreed.

"It may be the only way to find out what's going on." Erasa added.

"Yeah, and I doubt Serius would know any more. He already thought John was my dad." Shelby theorized.

"Maybe he has a point, though." Drafi stated.

Shelby nodded. "I think he does. I don't expect him to know much of John's life outside of the Alliance, but I suppose it might be worth asking if he knows anything more."

"I agree. He seems very open to answering whatever he can. May as well take advantage of the opportunity." Drafi agreed.

"Let us know what you find out. Or if you need anything." Erasa supported.

"Thank you. I will." Shelby said as they made the final corner to the apartments.

"Have you been able to tell Kaidan about any of this yet?" Erasa changed subjects.

"He knows that my Uncle was the one who served and not my dad. Past that, he'll get the rest tonight if he gets time for a video call."

"I'm sure he'll make time for you, even if it's only a few minutes."

"Yeah, you're right." Shelby acknowledged with a smile.

Erasa and Drafi exchanged smiles. "Has he properly asked you out yet?" Erasa teased, but was also genuinely curious.

Shelby's eyes widened briefly. "What? No. We're just friends."

"That's a shame. You two would be good for each other." Drafi stated.

"We've only known each other for a month or so..." Shelby stated with a raised eyebrow.

"You don't need to know someone forever first to fall in love with them." Drafi pointed out.

"I suppose you're right. But we're not dating, we're just friends."

Erasa and Drafi exchanged looks again. "Two weeks?" Drafi theorized.

"Absolutely not. At this rate, I give it 12 years." Erasa said with a chuckle.

"What are you two going on about?" Shelby asked as she watched them making some kind of bet.

"Oh, nothing. Just personal vendettas." Drafi dismissed the topic.

Shelby shook her head. "Whatever you say." She said as the trio split paths to go to their respective apartments, waving to each other like they usually do before actually walking through the doors.

*After class the next day*

"We'll wait for you outside." Erasa told Shelby as they stood from their chairs.

Shelby nodded to her Drell friends. "I'll try not to take long."

"Ask however many questions you need. We'll wait." Erasa assured her.

"Thank you." Shelby said with another nod before Erasa left with the last few other kids, and Shelby walked up to Serius' desk.

"Shelby. What can I do for you?" He greeted her.

"I was wondering if you could tell me more about John when you knew him?" Shelby asked as she stood by his desk.

"Of course. Do you mean Marcus, though?" Serius asked and gestured for Shelby to grab a seat.

"No. I did some research, but there was no record of a Marcus Shepard in the Alliance databases. Not mine, at least." Shelby started as she got a chair and sat it casually in front of Serius's desk.

Serius sat in his chair behind the desk. "I see. I can't help but feel like I opened a can of worms that wasn't mine to open. I'm sorry, Shelby. I'll answer what I can."

"It's okay, really. Regardless of the circumstances, I'd want to know the family secrets. Did you or any of the crew ever talk to John after he was discharged?"

"We all kept in contact for a few months before John just gradually phased himself out of the picture. We'd try to get ahold of him, but he'd never answer anyone. We thought it was weird, but no one knew where to look for him either. It's always made me wonder if something happened at home."

"I think it's safe to say at this point that something did." Shelby agreed and visably got an idea. "Is there an extranet site that would have colonist marriage and divorce public records?"

"I'd bet money on it." Serius theorized.

"I think that's going to be my next bit of research."

"That sounds like a solid plan. What are you hoping to find?"

"Proof of my mom's marriage. Or marriages. I grew up being told that John was my Uncle who lived on Earth and used to serve the Alliance. I never physically met him, but I saw him in a few video calls. But I've also had three people in the last 24 hours tell me I look more like John than my dad. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but that seems a bit too coincidental. At this point, I need proof that Marcus is or is not my dad."

"Just let me know if you have anymore questions. I'll gladly answer what I can." Serius told her.

"Thank you. I really appreciate all of this." Shelby thanked him as she put her chair back where she got it.

"It's no trouble. Have a good day, Shelby."

"Thank you. You too." Shelby said and headed outside to find Erasa and Drafi.