Secrets Of The Heart

Shelby was on her way down to the Main Battery when EDI had sent her a notification to her omnitool of a new message. She couldn't see who it was from before she dismissed it and continued on her way to go talk to Garrus. Having familiar faces aboard like Tali, Garrus, and Joker was a great help for Shelby because she knew there was always someone she could go to and talk about anything.

Back on the SR1, Shelby was close with all of her crew, but she was the closest with Garrus, Tali, Liara, Ashley, Joker, and obviously Kaidan. Part of why Shelby was so thrilled when Garrus and Tali agreed to come with her, was because they've always been her best friends since the SR1, and they all sleep a bit easier at night knowing that Joker was still the one flying them around the galaxy.

Shelby walked into the Main Battery and smiled at Garrus. "Hey Garrus. Whatchya up to?"

"Hey Shel. Just working on some calibrations."

"I should've known that." Shelby lightly teased him with a smile of amusement.

"Yeah, you probably should have." He teased her back with his own smile of amusement.

Shelby playfully rolled her eyes, keeping the same smile on her face. A couple minutes of silence passed by before Garrus spoke up. "You know, there's crates over there if you want to sit down rather than leaning against the wall like you normally do." He pointed out.

Oh, such a gentleman. Can't even offer me an actual seat." Shelby smartassed him, just to be a pain.

"Well, there's my cot if you'd be more comfortable." Garrus offered her as he pointed to his cot in the corner.

"Wanting to take me to bed now, Vakarian?" Shelby asked him with a smartass smile plastered to her expression.

"No! That's not what I........ Oh, nevermind." He said with a slightly exasperated nervous sigh.

Shelby laughed a bit at his reaction. "Relax, Garrus. I'm just giving you crap."

"Ah, Right."Garrus said with a little chuckle, obviously still a bit flustered.

"You okay today, Garrus? You seem....off."

"I'm alright, I promise." He tried to reassure her with a nod, but Shelby obviously wasn't totally sold on that answer based on her curiously raised brow and crossed arms.
"Honestly Shel, I'm doing just fine." Garrus added after some silence.

"I still think that's bull, but I'll let it slide." Shelby stated and eased back into her normal smiley expression and relaxed posture as she went over and sat on the crates.

"What do you know. She found an actual seat." Garrus teased her.

Shelby rolled her eyes with an amused smile. "Yes. I did."

Garrus was right about to say something when Joker came over the comm. "Commander, the Illusive Man wants to talk to you in the debrief room."

"What does he want now, Joker?"

"Hard to say. Galactic domination, maybe? He never even gives me the time of day, let alone the all-important conversation topics."

"Can't we just hang up on him like we did with the council?" Shelby asked with a little amused smile, and Garrus quietly laughed a bit.

"I am afraid that the backlash of such an action would be leading an unwelcomed end result, Shepard." EDI stated.

"Alright. Alright. I'll be there as soon as I can." Shelby said and the comm closed as she stood up and flashed Garrus a little smile. "I'll see you later, Garrus." She said and the door to the Main Battery closed behind her.

Garrus sighed a bit in relief when the door was closed. He felt for Shelby as more than friends, but he didn't want to further complicate things between Shelby and Kaidan. So his feelings for her were safe for at least a little while longer.