The Begining Of A Long Ride

Shelby woke up firmly cuddled up against Kaidan with her head on his chest. She moved carefully so that she wouldn't wake him as she got out of bed and started getting dressed. She almost had her pants all the way up when the back suddenly felt heavier than normal. Looking over her shoulder revealed Kaidan hooking his fingers over the top hem of her pants.

As soon as she looked at him, Kaidan gently yanked Shelby backwards onto the bed and pinned her under his chest to keep her from getting up.

"Where do you think you're going?" He asked and kissed her.

Shelby put a hand on his cheek. "I would love nothing more than to stay in bed with you, but we should be getting close to the relay now."

Kaidan sighed. "I guess it's back to business then, huh?....You know, it's been a long time since I've met a woman who, uh..."

"Bridge to Shepard. We're five minutes out from the Mu Relay." Joker updated over the com as Kaidan sat up on the bed, letting Shelby get up.

"You're a sweetheart, Kaidan." She told him and kissed him before getting up and finished getting dressed.

"I swear, if anything happens to you...Be careful Shel."

"Suit up, and be ready to go..." She started and walked over to armor locker, chuckling at Kaidan's expression. "What? Did you really think you weren't coming with?" She told him as she pulled her armor from the locker.

Kaidan's surprise fazed into a smile he got up and quickly started throwing on his clothes. "I won't claim to know what goes on in that mind of yours." Once dressed, as Shelby zipped herself into her under suit, he kissed her cheek one last time. "See you on the bridge."

**

"I hope you know what you're doing Shel."

"Trust me Kaidan, things will be better in the long run this way."

"I do trust you. I just... I'd hate to see you regret this."

"I know. But this is the right choice, I don't have a better alternative." Shelby calmly reassured Kaidan and looked down through the broken glass floor of the Citadel Tower at Saren. Shelby felt bad that his fate had to lead to his suicide, but she also knew he was just too far gone to be helped if Saren saw that as the only option.

"Make sure he's dead." She told Kaidan and Tali who were standing behind her.

Shelby had started working on the panel in front of her as Kaidan and Tali got down to Saren's corpse. Kaidan shot Saren in the head, then he and Tali started to make their way back up to Shelby when the floors started quaking violently. The shaking got even more violent, eventually breaking the platform she was on, sending Shelby tumbling down toward Kaidan and Tali. Luckily, Kaidan was standing in the right spot and was able to step up and catch her.

"Are you okay?" He asked in obvious concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine. What the hell is happening?!"

Right on cue, the red sparking, levitating mass that had been Saren's corpse, dropped to the ground, looking like a hollowed out red, version of a Geth creeper that started darting all over the room.

"Apparently it's round two." Shelby answered her own question and readied her gun, all three of them fighting off the cybernetic mass of the former Turian Spectre's corpse.

**

As Soverin fell from the tower, Joker led the final assault on the gargantuan machine. The Normandy blasted it into a million pieces, but now some of those pieces were heading directly towards Shelby, Kaidan, and Tali. Shelby looked through the giant windows at Sovereign's explosion once they were back on the main level. She saw the giant debris coming toward them and immediately gave her orders.