Kaidan

After going to Palaven's moon for three days (just short of a week later if you include travel times) to recruit the Turian Primarch for a summit between the species, and helping the Turians fight reaper forces along the way, Shelby had run into Garrus there. He was leading some of the Turian troops for the war effort, and requested to join up with Shelby again right before she had to leave with Primarch Victus, to which she happily approved and welcomed him aboard.

On their way back to the Normandy, Shelby got Garrus caught back up on everything that had already happened. From her going to the defense committee to taking Kaidan to the hospital and the typical council meeting afterwards.

"Shit, Shel. I'm sorry. Is Kaidan going to be okay?" Garrus asked as they walked through the airlock and onto the ship.

"Yeah, Dr. Michelle says he'll make a full recovery, it's just going to take time."

"Well, that's a relief. There's not many of your original crew left is there?" Garrus asked as they turned towards the galaxy map, walking around the long holo table.

"At least not while I had to work with Cerberus. Everyone was busy. But now I have Kaidan, Liara, and now you. Hell, Tali is the only family member still absent for the moment. Wrex is here, but it's only temporary."

"It'll be good to work with him again, even if it is only for a while. He just has that certain charm that keeps everyone on their toes."

"Are you talking about his personality, or his Krogan blood rage?" Shelby joked a bit.

"Isn't it the same thing?" Garrus joked back.

Shelby snorted a bit to stifle a laugh. "I should let you get back to work, Shel. Come find me if you need me."

"Main battery?" Shelby knowingly asked as she stopped by the end corner of the table that had her personal terminal on it.

"It's like you know me." Garrus said with sarcastic surprise before turning and going into the elevator.

"I'll see you later, Garrus." Shelby smiled out before turning and checked her emails on the console to the left of the galaxy map.

She sifted through emails until one visibly caught her attention. She read through it as fast as she could, her jaw dropping a bit and turning into a big smile as she read. "Joker! Get us to the Citadel!"

"Aye, aye, Commander." Joker confirmed over the comm.

********

The door to the hospital room swished open and Kaidan looked over with a smile. "Hey Shelby."

"Hey yourself." Shelby started with a smile and went over to the chair at Kaidan's bedside. "How are you feeling?"

"Not terrible. Doc said my implant got "rattled". The medical jargon was far more impressive, but that's what I took from it. "Rattled"."

Shelby adjusted the chair a bit. "I'm glad you asked me to come. It's good to see you're gonna be okay."

"Thanks."

"You almost died on my watch. It was horrible to see." Shelby said with a guilty shake of her head.

"I want you to be straight with me then. I just wanna make sure, after Mars, after Horizon, you and me... we're good?"

"We've been through hell together. Had each other's backs. That kind of bond is hard to break." She confirmed.

"No, not just that. You were my commander, sure, but you listen too. We were soldiers, but also friends."

"Yeah, we were." Shelby agreed with a bit of a nod.

"So what do you say? Are we good?"

Shelby nodded once. "We're good. It was great to have you back on the Normandy."