Horizon

Three months after Kaidan received his Commander title, whole human colonies were being mysteriously abducted. Councillor Anderson and Ambassador Udina were concerned, but couldn't get the rest of the council to agree on sending out a team to investigate the disappearances. Eventually, Anderson and Udina figured out a way around having to involve the council, and were getting ready to send Staff Commander Alenko out to a colony to investigate on his own.

***

"Lilith we've got a problem." Kaidan stated as he hastily walked outside next Lilith.

"Still can't calibrate the targeting matrix?"

"Those defense towers are useless if we don't figure it out."

"Sorry, Kaidan. Getting our comm system back online takes priority."

Kaidan stopped and sighed a bit. "Yeah. Okay. I'm surprised people haven't tried to blame that one on me too."

Lilith shook her head a bit. "People out here just don't trust the Alliance. It's nothing personal." She said with a little reassuring smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.

Kaidan briefly returned the smile when a loud humming started coming from the sky, and a huge ship started to slowly show itself.

"What is THAT?" Lilith asked in a curious amazement as Kaidan got out his assault riffle and looked through the scope at the ginormous ship.

"Get everyone to the safe house." Kaidan calmly ordered.

The few colonists that had gathered around started to slowly move away, and Lilith was looking at Kaidan as a giant black cloud of something came out and started toward the colony.
"Go! I'll cover you! Run!" Kaidan ordered everyone as he started shooting at the huge mass of insect-like creatures.

The colonists scattered, knocking Lilith to the ground not far from Kaidan. Kaidan saw Lilith on the ground, and quickly made his way to her. He helped her up, but was consequently bitten by one of the insects. Kaidan groaned and quickly ripped it off of his neck and threw it to the ground. He started to bring his assult rifle back up when the toxin in the sting kicked in, freezing Kaidan to his spot and scaring Lilith into running.

****

"Shepard. I think we have them! Horizon -- one of our colonies in the Terminus Systems -- just went silent. If it isn't under attack, it soon will be. Has Mordin delivered the counter measure for the seeker swarms yet?"

"Not yet."

"Let's hope he works well under pressure. There's something else you should know." The Illusive Man said and took a puff from his cigarette before continuing. "One of your former crew, Kaidan Alenko, is stationed on Horizon."

Shelby was paying A LOT more attention to whatever the Illusive Man was telling her now. "Last I knew, Kaidan was Alliance. what's he doing out in the Terminus Systems?" Shelby asked and she crossed her arms as she shifted her weight to one side.

"Officially, it's an outreach program to improve Alliance relations in the colonies. But they're up to something. And if they've sent Staff Commander Alenko, it must be big."

'Staff Commander Alenko. Good for him! I always knew he was a great soldier.' Shelby thought to herself.
"The collectors just happen to pick a colony with one of my former crew? I don't buy it."
'You mean your boyfriend.'
'Shut up, me.' Shelby mentally argued with herself.

"It shouldn't be a surprise that the collectors are intrested in you. Especially if they're working for the Reapers. They might be going after him to get to you."