The Enemy Strikes

~~I want to say thank you SO MUCH to all the readers for supporting this story! I never imagined that it would get to even 500 views, let alone one thousand. Thank you for taking the time to read! Please, let me know what you think about it so far, and feel free to ask questions if you have any. I hope you continue to enjoy the story, and thank you again!~~

About 5 months later, Shelby and the crew were preparing to go through the Omega 4 relay. They had just acquired the Reaper IFF they needed to pass through, but Shelby was extremely weary about having EDI activate it. To Shelby, it seemed like a too perfect time for something to go horribly wrong.

"Commander, the Normandy is not properly equipped to make it through the Omega 4 Relay without the IFF." EDI stated, trying to assure Shelby as much as she could that it was safe.

"I know EDI. You're absolutely certain that it's not a virus of some sort? Or that it could cause anything bad?"

"Chill Shel. Believe me, I don't want anything happening to the ol' girl either, but you know EDI's work is solid. You're being more paranoid than me about it." Joker pointed out.

"The IFF is harmless to the Normandy's systems. It is a simple process to integrate into the Normandy, but it will take time. I suggest taking the shuttle to your next destination."

"But you see, THAT'S what I don't like. We're supposed to leave her just suspended in the middle of space?"

"Do I need to go over my service record with you again, Shel. Nothing's going to hurt us while I'm piloting. Trust us a little here."

"I do trust both of you. You should both know that by now." Shelby said apologetically. "I just want to avoid more of the Illusive Man's tricks."

"Yeah, don't we all? Take the crew in the shuttle and let EDI and I handle things up here." Shelby looked at Joker, obviously still unsure. "I WILL get out of this chair and push you to the elevator if I have to." Joker playfully threatened her, though he meant it.

"Okay, okay, Fine. Don't break yourself just to make me move." Shelby joked with an amused smile and a little chuckle.

"If it means it'd help you save the Galaxy again, I'd do it in a heartbeat.....or ya know, as fast as I can hobble." Joker said with a little smile.

"Thanks Joker. I'll head down to the shuttle bay."

"Go get 'em tiger!"

Shelby smiled as she rolled her eyes in amusement with a shake of her head before notifying the crew and heading down to the shuttle bay.

********

"I'm telling you, EDI, your readings are off. It's Radiation bleed, just white noise." Joker stated as he was swiping at various things at his control console.

"I have detected a signal embedded in the static. We are transmitting the Normandy's location." EDI stated a bit more firmly than her normal tone.

"Transmitting? To who?" Joker asked curiously as he swiped a couple more things right before a Collector Vessel appeared above them. "Oh, shit."

"We're getting outta here!" Joker frantically exclaimed and tried to get the Normandy moving again.

"Propulsion systems are disabled. I'm detecting a virus in the ship's computers."

"From the IFF? Damn it, why didn't you scrub it?"

"Primary defense systems are offline. We can save the Normandy, Mr. Moreau, but you must help me....give me the ship."

"What?! You're crazy! You start singing "Daisy Bell", and I'm done."

"Unlock my sealed databases, and I can initiate countermeasures. The maintenance shaft in the science lab will allow passage to the AI core...Main corridors are no longer safe. The Collectors have boarded. The emergency floor lighting will guide you, Mr. Moreau."