First Stop: Mars

"What the hell's going on? Where's Anderson? Where we going?" Vega questioned Shelby as she walked ino the Normandy's docking bay. Shelby was ignoring him for the most part. "Hey!"

"We're leaving." Shelby stated, only half turning to Vega as she kept moving.

"Leaving?!"

"What's going on Shelby?" Kaidan asked from the armor and weapons work bench.

"Anderson wants us to go to the Citadel, get help for the fight." Shelby stated, starting to do something on a terminal when Vega grabbed her attention.

"Bullshit. He wouldn't order us to leave." Vega spit out.

"He can see what's going on. Without help, this war's already over." Shelby shot back at him.

"Then you can drop me off at the nearest depot. 'Caus..."

"Stow it, Lieutenant! You don't wanna go -- we get it -- but this isn't a democracy. We're going to the Citadel. You want out, you can catch a ride back from there." Shelby chewed into him before going back to her console. Vega threw a hand at her in surrender and turned away from her.

"Commander!" They all heard over the ship-wide comm.

"Joker? Is that you??"

"Alive and kicking. Got an emergency transmission from Admiral Hackett for you."

"Patch it through." Shelby said and the video feed came up on the terminal she'd been using.

"Shepard....sustained heavy losses. ....force was overwhelming... no way we can defeat them conventionally." Wherever Hackett was, the signal was terrible. At least Shelby could gather what he was trying to tell her.

"Anderson's already ordered me to the Citadel to talk to the council."

"First, I need you...iance outpost on Mars...ore we loose control of the system."

Shelby gave him a salute. "Yes sir."

"...been researching the Prothean Archives with Dr. T'soni. ...Found a way to stop the Reapers...only way to stop them....in contact soon. Hackett out."

"Joker. Set a course for the Mars Archives." Shelby ordered.

"Mars? Roger that."

"This is loco." Vega stated.

"Welcome to the exciting life of Commander Shepard." Shelby stated in an exasperated tone.

"Why Mars? What does Hackett think we'll find there?" Kaidan asked.

"I don't know. Yet. But if it helps us win this war......Grab your gear." Shelby ordered as she grabbed her chest piece off of the armor table.

**

"We're almost there." Vega announced. "Still no contact from the base, but we've got a massive storm headed our way." He continued when the shuttle was grounded.

"How long til it hits?"

"Half hour tops. After that, we're gonna have difficulty keeping up comms with the Normandy."

"Understood." Shelby confirmed with a nod as the shuttle's door opened.

About halfway to the Archives entrance, Shelby and her little group quietly came apon a small group of soldiers in hauntingly familiar armor.
They had an Alliance soldier captive with his hands on the back of his head in surrunder. The soldier was nudged to go down to his knees, then was promptly shot through the head by the same trooper that had put him to his knees.

"Holy shit. They're executing them!" Vega quietly exclaimed as they all took cover. They hadn't been seen yet, and the plan was to stay that way for now.