The Hard Truth

Corbyn's POV

When dinner had finished, everyone went off to do their own things. Alexa had been doing her best to flirt with me all night and I was trying to ignore her. I'd done what she wanted, I didn't want her to keep following me. I was busy trying to keep an eye on Madison, but she was with Jonah so I wasn't too worried right now. Evans walked over to me. "I know this is a party and it's supposed to be fun, but could you come to my office for a second?" he asked.

I nodded and followed him. He warned me about someone who had come to the party. He was telling me they were disguised tonight. This could only go one way. When I got back out to the party, I saw Madison talking with some girls on the couch. Jonah came over to me and leaned on my shoulder. "Well?"

"Martin," I groaned. "We may not recognize him though."

"He really thinks it's a good choice to show his face here? We have fifty people in this room who would kill him if they could," Jonah said in surprise. "What the hell is he thinking?"

"Believe me, he's up to something. There's no other way he would be able to come here without being recognized by at least one person," I told him. "Just keep a close eye on the girls tonight."

Jonah agreed and wandered off to talk to a group of men in a corner. As much as I hated that he flirted with Madison, it was a relief to know that she was safe if I wasn't there. Alexa went over to talk to Madison and I groaned inwardly. This couldn't be good. They stayed there for nearly ten minutes before Alexa went away again. I joined my girlfriend on the couch. "What was that all about?"

"Oh, just the usual taunts. She added that I was a golddigger since I'd originally started out as a fan," Madison replied nonchalantly.

I looked in Alexa's direction before turning back to Madison. "Believe me. You're not the golddigger here."

Madison's POV

While Corbyn and I wandered around the living room, I noticed Alexa flirting with Daniel, who looked incredibly irritated by this. "I didn't know she was a slut too," I mumbled and Jack, who was with us laughed.

Corbyn seemed tense and didn't enjoy my comment at all.

He was focused on the people coming in and out of the house. "Can I go get a drink?" I asked him.

He nodded, not even paying attention to me. I went to the bar and stood quietly as the bartender talked to another girl. A man I recognized walked over to us and motioned the bartender over. "How about helping this young lady instead of flirting with the other people here?"

"Yes sir," the bartender said sheepishly and came over to me. "How can I help you, ma'am?"

"Cosmopolitan," I told him and he hurried off to get it made.

The man who had helped me get the drink got closer to me and leaned on the counter. "Hello, angel," he said. "Your dad has been looking for you."

"Who are you?" I asked as I took my drink. "It seems like you have a pretty big reputation."

He shrugged as he got his own drink. "I guess you could say I've been around. I'm Martin. You would know me better as Mr. Clinton."

"Oh! You're my dad's business partner!" I gasped.

"You're a pretty little thing. All grown up now," Martin said.

I smiled slightly. "Thank you."

We talked for a few minutes. He was nice I guess. "Hey. Why are you talking to her?" I heard Jonah's voice as he approached us.

"Mr. Marais. Mr. Seavey. How are you, two gentlemen?" Martin said, a little too cheerfully for my liking.

Jonah put an arm around my stomach and pulled me against him. "I'd be better if you left my girl alone."

"Jonah, he wasn't doing anything," I stuttered but Jonah kept his grip on me.

Martin put his hands up in surrender. "I was just keeping your little lady company."

"My friends and I can do that just fine on our own," Jonah snapped and led me away.

Daniel handed me my drink and we went to find Corbyn and Alexa whispering to each other. I looked up at Jonah who rolled his eyes. "By the way, I claimed you as my girl just so he'd leave you alone. I hope that didn't make you feel uncomfortable."

I shook my head. I needed to act clueles. "It was a surprise. I know him?"

"You what?" Daniel asked in shock.

"I mean... I've heard of him because of Corbyn," i stammered, but I was caught.

Daniel eyed me suspiciously. Alexa kissed Corbyn's cheek and smirked at me before walking away. Corbyn looked uncomfortable as he turned to me. "Hey baby," he said with a tiny smile.

"Hi. I'm just going to go freshen up," I mumbled and walked away.

I was almost to the bathroom when someone familiar appeared. He had a cold look in his eyes as he approached me. I tried to back away but he grabbed me and threw me against the wall. I felt something wet dripping down my neck. He smirked at me and put a hand around my neck. "How naive are you?"

I desperately wanted to reply but his grip was too tight. I was beginning to see black spots as he squeezed harder. My cheek stung. He had slapped me. "You really didn't figure it out?"

I tried to kick him but he was too strong for me. "You're dating the man who killed your brother. Stay with him long enough and he'll kill you."

The officer quickly wrote something down and I began to feel uncomfortable. Did this part make me more or less of a suspect? "So do you know who this guy was? I mean obviously, you recognized his face, but do you know his name?" he asked.

"Unfortunately yes. I know him quite well," I replied.