56 - The Kingdom Needs A Queen

if you love me for me (piano)
____________

— ELLA WAS HEARTBROKEN.   She didn't know what to do as thoughts, ideas and suggestions invaded her head. If anybody found out about Draco's secret, he probably wouldn't make it out alive. Nor she, if anyone were to know about her powers. To marry that arrogant Duke sounded crazy, yet the amount of things he knew about her and her family were enough to make her think about his offer.

The future Queen walked in the gardens, directed to the stables, looking for her unicorn, that seemed to be waiting for her patiently. She set her free and started walking to the lake. Her eyes gazed at the white snowflakes falling gracefully on the green grass. The young woman breathed out, realizing that even her powers started to get out of her control. Everything seemed to be falling apart; the upcoming war, the future of her people and her life that held too many secrets.

Her relationship with Draco was on the edge too, as he wasn't getting the attention, love and care he actually deserved - she thought. Yet she didn't know that all he actually was in need for, was her presence, love and spirit. Both were too proud and insecure to actually mention any of their uncertainties.

Draco was in Ella's room, reading a letter from his mother. He slowly shook his head and kept his cries and tears to himself. They were coming. And nobody was going to be able to stop them. His family was at risk, the French people and everybody around. The future Queen too. Questions were echoing in his head for the past 15 minutes. To stay or to go? He knew Ella was going to understand whatever his decision was going to be - he wasn't worried about that. He was worried about failure.

"It's so hard.", Ella said looking down at her hands. Ananya placed a hand on her shoulder and offered her a small smile. The lake now completely frozen, even if it was just the beginning of autumn.

"I know, darling. You've gotta be strong. For the kingdom, for your mother and father. For Draco.", the Princess shook her head at her words and hid her face against her knees. Her sobs and silent cries made the Fairy Godmother's heart hurt. A sweet, young girl was overwhelmed by a kingdom she wasn't even supposed to be in.

"It hurts, Ella. But you've got to have courage and be kind. Everything is going to be alright. With time.", Ananya caressed her head, as if she were a mother comforting her child.

"Princess Ella! Madame Ananya!", the fairy rolled her eyes at the sound of the Chancellor's voice. She turned around and noticed that he was all sweaty, his fizzy hair flying in different directions. He cursed in French as the wind blew his hat away. Ananya stood up, huffing and looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Well? We're very emotional as of right now, therefore..."

The Chancellor gulped, looking at the fairy with a crumble of fear. "The kingdom... They found out about... Queen Rose...", the words spoken by the man dressed in deep red made Ananya freeze and Ella look up quickly. She dried off her tears and stood up.

"That means...", she started off slowly, the fairy looking at her with a saddened expression.

"The people have spoken. They want to feel safe. They need a Queen.", Monro continued.

"Do you happen to know who spread the word?", Ella decided to ask.

The Chancellor shook his head firmly. "No one in this castle would ever dare, Your Highness."

His words made Ella nod. "Very well. We'll give the kingdom what they want. The coronation will be held in the Royal Room in three days from today. You may go.", the man nodded, bowed and walked back to the castle.

"It was that coward of the Duke for sure. Oh he's going to hear it from me.", Ananya was furious and her words expressed her feelings very well.

"This would've happened sooner or later, Ananya. The people need me. I need to take action.", Ella sighed, moving away as she kept her head low.

"You're gonna lose yourself like this. You need to take things slowly.", the Princess just shook her head. "I need to talk to Draco."

____________

Draco's hand met the cold door handle and as he was about to open the door, the door suddenly collided against his forehead. The man hissed in pain and touched the aching spot and that's when Ella walked in, looking at him with a surprised and guilty look.

"Oh, I didn't mean to... Sorry, baby.", her fingers delicately brushed his hair away, to get a better look of his forehead. Fortunately, it was just a bit red - it wasn't going to bruise, therefore there was nothing to worry about. Maybe a bit of ice and the redness would be gone.

"Take a seat on my bed, I'll take care of you.", Draco smiled softly at her gesture, knowing very well that her actions weren't caused by the little red spot on his forehead. But he sat down and watched her take a cloth which was soon filled with a few ice cubes, created by a little motion of her hands. Ella folded it and walked towards him, sitting down on the bed close to his body. The cold cloth was gently placed on the red, aching spot - Ella kept it there.

Their eyes met. Light blue, almost grey, to dark brown. His hand caught her wrist, lowering it to his lips. Draco kissed it, her cheeks never failing to blush. The eye contact wasn't broken. "I need to talk to you.", Draco spoke up. Ella nodded lightly and smiled encouraging him to do so.

His hand opened the cloth and touched the ice cubes, making them fade away - the familiar golden dust appearing. He set the cloth on the bed and took her hands in his. "My mother wrote. They're coming, Ella.", was all he said and that was enough, because she understood what he actually meant. The Princess looked down and it didn't matter how often she had repeated her words in her head, no way sounded good enough.

"The kingdom found out... About my mother...", she said slowly, fiddling with the ring around his finger. "The coronation is in three days.", Ella didn't dare to look up or add anything else, because he understood what she actually meant. It wasn't hard to add two and two together.

"So... You will be...", it was hard for him to say these words. "Marrying him?", his heart encouraged him to look up, to look at the eyes of the woman he loved. And he did, but she didn't. He couldn't deny the fact he was afraid of her answer.

"For the benefit of the kingdom.", Ella managed to say lowly.

Both hearts broke, but they both knew. They were too familiar with duties related to family. What had to be done, had to be done.

____________

Thank you for reading. Hope you've enjoyed. xx

If you could leave a star, that would honestly make my day. Thanks in advance. xx

- belle.

. . .

Written the 29th of August 2021.
Published the 2nd of September 2021.