61 - Ananya

THE BEGINNING OF THE END; ANANYA

____________

— A TEAR FELL  on Draco's face. It was Ella's . She didn't care what could've possibly happened in that moment of distraction, because at the moment she just cared about him. Tears of desperation fell down her cheeks, his head on her lap and her hands caressing his pale cheeks.

The noise coming from outside couldn't be heard by Ella anymore. The feeling on her chest was unbearable, something she was sure she had never felt before and the untold words she wished she had told him burned–

"It's raining already?"

The Queen's eyes widen at the familiar sound. She looked down and noticed Draco wipe his face with his hands. Ella released a breath of surprise at the spontaneous and sarcastic words coming from him. He slowly sat up and finished wiping his face.

Ella looked at him with a raised eyebrow. She was desperately crying about his supposed death and now he was basically mocking her?

"Did a glacier fall on this castle? Actually, did a giant walk on the castle? Because last time I was here–", his idiotic words were cut off by Ella's lips on his. The young man didn't complain at all. And another kiss was shared and another and another. Ella's incredulous laughter broke the kiss; she couldn't believe he was alive.

"Actually last time I was here... You were a Princess, now you're a Queen.", he smiled a little against her lips. "Scold me for this if we survive but since this is a life or death situation, allow me to say this... Queen Ella... Is so fucking hot.", he murmured lowly, making her laugh and then pressed his lips against hers once more.

"You're alive.", she said and wiped another tear that fell down her cheek.

"Of course I am. Me leaving you here on your own? Never again. I'm fighting with you, Ella.", Draco said and brought her closer to his body. Her tears started falling once again. Relief.

"I'm so glad you're well. I-I had no idea what I was thinking. F-Freezing the ceiling a-and–"

"You slowed him down, Ella. And the majority of Death Eaters are dead, thanks to your knights.", he pushed a stand of hair behind her ear. "I'm sorry... I guess... Your parents?"

"They stayed in England. The Dark Lord was planning on invading France first and then deal with Hogwarts later. A group of them stayed back home.", Ella nodded at his words and lightly pushed him away to stand up. She brushed the ice away and then lifted her head up to look at the remaining ceiling.

"I think that was my room up there.", she stated keeping her gaze up. "Yup, that was my room. Look at the bed.", the Queen confirmed. Draco stood up too and looked up. "Well, you did a good job. I'll give you that.", his arm was around her shoulder. Her head found his shoulder and brown eyes closed, until she remembered.

"Draco, there's a war going on outside."

"Yeah."

"And I'm the Queen here, so..."

"Oh yeah, I forgot.", and together they walked outside. The snowflakes were lighter, but the stark contrast of the blood staining the snow was more evident than ever. Some of her people were dead as she noticed some knights carrying them away.

She noticed a couple of Death Eaters on the ground and told some fairies to take care of their bodies. Her eyes looking at the scene in front of her, her heart beating faster than ever. Ella spotted a group of fairies and knights by a tree.

Knights who passed by took off their helmet and nodded with their heads. Ella looked at them confusingly and then decided to take longer steps. A guard bowed but she stopped him quickly.

"May I ask what's going on?", the guard kept his head low.

"My Queen... Miss Ananya... She, uh...", her words were hitched in her throat at the man's answer. Ella nodded at him, making the guard walk away. She approached the group of people, hearing some faint cries and her heartbeat in her ears. Ella gently pushed away some people and breathed out at the sight.

Ananya was laying on the snow. There was no blood, but her eyes fought to stay open. Ella noticed that her wings were broken; there was no magic spell able to heal them.

The fairy's dark eyes noticed the Queen. Ella crouched down and started crying immediately. "Tell me how I can help. I want you to be okay. You're gonna be okay. Please, some– some hot water and towels, please. Quick, please.", her breaths were quick as she shakily reached for her wand. She made a pillow appear and helped Ananya's head on it.

Draco looked at the two with a scared, helpless and sad expression. There was nothing that could've been done. A killing curse was used, but it appeared to be a little slower on fairies. It was slowly killing her. Draco looked away and tried to hide his sniffle.

"Ella... There's not much time left... Know that in your first day as Queen... You were the best sovereign the kingdom has ever had...", Ella's cries increased at her words.

"Stop saying these things... You'll be okay...", the girl was about to stand up and get the towels herself, but Ananya held her arm back.

"Ella, listen... You need the truth... A-And I'm sorry I couldn't help you sooner... I wish I-I... I'm sorry you need to f-find this out on your own... Just know... I love you and I'm proud...", the towels and hot water arrived, but all her attempts were in vain. A tear fell down the fairy's eye.

"Please take it... Freeze it and...", those were Ananya's last words. Ella shook her head, refusing to believe that such thing happened. She bit her lip, trying to prevent other tears to fall down. But Ella wasn't familiar with hiding emotions. She just couldn't. At the moment of distraction, Draco took a step forward and crouched down beside Ella. He took her hand in his.

"Love... As her last wish...", he looked at the fairy's tear and then at Ella. Their eyes met and Draco couldn't hide the pain he felt as he noticed her crying. The Queen nodded slowly and with her hand in his, she froze the little tear and caught it before it slipped away. She brought her fist close to her chest and lowered her head as Draco held her close.

"I-I would suggest organizing a funeral for every guard and knight lost. A-After the war is over, of course.", Draco said in a shaky voice not wanting to meet anyone's eyes. A few fairies exchanged small smiles between each other, but nodded at his words nonetheless.

A couple of knights carried Ananya's body away, taking it to the room where the rest lay.

"That's really kind of you, Draco.", Ella said with a hoarse voice. Draco breathed out shakily.

"You would've done the same... Just didn't want to pressure you or anything."

"If you don't mind... I need to take a further look at this.", Ella slowly stood up and motioned at the frozen tear in her palm. Draco nodded and kissed her cheek slowly.

"Are they gonna come back?", she dared to ask. His grey eyes looked in her brown ones.

"He won't give up.", Draco muttered lowly. "I-I'll gather some people and we'll protect the castle as best as we possibly are able to." Ella cupped his cheek and pressed her lips to his.

"I'm so lucky to have you by my side. Wouldn't want anyone else.", she kissed him again.

"I love you.", and they were off to two different directions.

____________

Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed! Love you. xx

- belle.

. . .

Written the 12th of September 2021
Published the 16th of October 2021