58 - The Queen's Secret

hey gorgeous people! I'll post the next chapter when it hits at least 10 golden stars. thank you. xx

____________

— THE DAY AFTER    Ella made the decision - after consulting other people - to organize her mother's funeral. It was an event that perhaps didn't make a lot of sense, but she owed it to the kingdom and most importantly to herself, so that her soul could rest peacefully, knowing that she gave the Queen a worthy funeral.

I'm so selfish, Ella thought to herself. The Princess noticed that after all these months have passed, not once did she think of her family. And now that the war was coming up and the Queen's world would've fallen on her, she wished her mother was there to help. Ella wished Rose was there to tell her the stories of how she had met her father. And how their love was impossible until they made it possible for themselves. Or to share pieces of advice on how to rule the kingdom properly. Or just to be there for Ella and love her when she needed to be loved.

Even the brightest dresses were black and as if on purpose, the clouds started crying just like every other person in Ella's kingdom. The sky was dark and so were the suits of the men who lifted up her mother's coffin and slowly lowered it to the ground. The cries of the people made Ella shudder and look down. It was real. She was gone.

Ananya was being comforted by the Chancellor, who was crying as well. Ella stood in front of the grave, her hands connected, resting against her dress. The tears would've fallen once she hit the bed hours later, but now it was time to act like the Queen. Like the Queen that was going to fight and win the war, defending her kingdom and her people.

She raised her wand in the air and a little sparkle of light appeared on the tip. The rest of the castle's Royal members followed and then every single person witnessing the funeral. Suddenly her eyes met the ones of Duke Levies, who had his wand raised as well, yet that little sparkle in his eyes or the small smirk painted on his lips, made Ella remember his threats. She closed her eyes and drowned in the sorrow filling her heart.

____________

"Everyone please go home. Thank you for suggesting, Eliana, but this is for the best.", the Royal Chef that had stayed in the castle since Ella was a little baby hugged her tightly.

"Dear, please, don't make us go. What's going to happen to you, child? Oh, Ella.", Eliana grabbed the Princess' hands and squeezed them, making Ella smile and shake her head. "My kingdom needs me.", those were the words that made the chef break down in her arms. Ella patted her back as comfortingly as she possibly could, until a guard tapped Eliana on the shoulder and made her step away.

"Stay safe, Princess Ella.", the woman bowed, making Ella smile a little and bow as well. "Will do, Eliana. Please give Laurent a hug from me.", Eliana smiled at the mention of her granddaughter.

Ella turned away comforting yet another person, when the voice she had been hearing suddenly startled her. Her name sounded like a secret whispered to her ear. She sighed, her thoughts now drifting to Draco, wondering... Wondering if he was still alive. Then something clicked in Ella's head. If Eliana had worked for the Royal Family since her mother was a young Princess, then she must know something about... Tiana.

Ella kindly pushed fairies and guards away, looking for the only woman who could possibly help her. She found herself in the gardens when she spotted the lady carrying her luggage. The Princess called her name, making Eliana turn around.

"I-I'm sorry, but I, I was wondering if you knew anything about-"

"Monsieur Dément, Ella. He is the only man who knows.", Eliana quickly told her, knowing what she was going to ask. "After the incident... Our memories were wiped away... So I was told, at least. But Dément... He's the only man who managed to hide during that process."