Chapter four.

Three days later, Michelle walked into the school premises and prayed fervently not to encounter chinyere and her friends. Right from her first day of school, she had avoided them as much as possible and they too, seemed to avoid her.
She entered the class while the maths teacher was teaching. Her gaze locked with Chinyere's and chinyere smirked. "She's always late"somebody said. Michelle ignored the comment and sat on her seat.
"Hey"skyler said behind her.
"Hi"she replied without looking at him.
"Why do you always come late? Lost puppy"from the laughter in his voice, she could tell that he was mocking her. "That's what she called you right? Chinyere. You're indeed lost, so she's right "
"I am not a puppy "
"You don't like the name huh? Okay, since you're not so small, 'dog' will fit you perfectly. How about Michelle dog? " Michelle didn't reply.
"Tsk tsk. Michy dog then " No reply.
"Why do you hate your names? Hey michy dog. Seems I should add deafness to your list of names" seeing that he got no reply, Skyler sighed, leaned back on his seat and looked around the class lazily.
During lunch break, Michelle walked into the cafeteria with her lunch and everyone fell silent. What now? She thought. She almost made it successfully to her seat when she heard a bark. It was Skyler. He barked again.
"Mich! Mich! " "Michy dog "Somebody yelled. Michelle was horrified. Her ears were suddenly filled with the sound of everyone barking "Mich! Mich! "Her vision blurred with tears as she fled from the cafeteria, tray in hand. She spotted the bathroom door and dashed in. The second she closed the door, robust tears gushed down her cheeks as she cried out. After a while, she walked to the sink, rinsed her face and stared at herself in the mirror for about a minute before picking up her lunch tray and sitting on the closed toilet seat.
She was halfway through her food when a thin girl peered at her through the wall that demarcated each toilet. "Hey "the girl whispered.
"How did you get in? I didn't hear the door "Michelle gasped.
"I was inside here before you came. I heard you cry"
"What! You didn't see what happened to me then. "
"I did"
"What are you waiting for then? Call me a dog too"Michelle said sadly.
"You see, I used to envy Chinyere, Skyler, Patricia, Omar and that stone until... "
"What stone? "Michelle interrupted her.
"Ruby ofcourse. That stone-faced witch. "
"What! "Michelle let out delighted peals of laughter.
"Well, I used to like them until this afternoon. I now see them for the bullies that they are. I've been eating in the bathroom since junior school school after Chinyere nicknamed me toothpick"
"That's cruel"michelle said.
"I know right... I'm Maria by the way"
"I'm Michelle "
"I know... "Maria smiled "....umm do you want to go back? "
"I have no choice. Besides, the break is over"
"Come on, let's go"
When they got to the classroom, Ruby let out a bark "mich! " and everyone laughed.
"Toothpick and a dog"Patricia said.
"It does not even make any sense"Maria said.
"Coz your friend is a michy ditch" Skyler said.
"Oh it rhymes! Mich ditch" Chinyere laughed and everyone joined.
"For the love of God chinyere, this is annoying "Omar said. He shook his head and left the class.
"Omar wait... "Chinyere followed him out. Maria and Michelle walked to their seats, aware of the vicious scowls of Chinyere's friends.