prologue: that night

Fairfax, Indiana November 8th, 1998 3:00Am

Fairfax, Indiana
November 8th, 1998
3:00Am

After finishing a hunt, I was driving through a neighborhood. I looked at the gas range to see it was half full. I turn my head to my right only to see a window of a house burst in flames. I slam on the brakes and parked the car before I got out. I kicked the door open and ran inside. I saw a man on the floor bleeding from his stomach. I slid on my knees as I ran to him.

"It's going to be okay." I stated after I checked his pulse which was weak.

"Ed-Edward." The man rasped.

"What?" I asked.

"Ed-Edward. The baby. Save him. You gotta save him. Upstairs." He breathlessly said. I nod my head before scrambling to my feet. I ran up the stairs and saw a door with the name Edward on it. I touch the door handle only for it to be hot so I rammed my shoulder to the door. As the door burst open, I saw a man hovering over the crib.

"HEY!" I shouted.

He turned his head to me and I saw his yellow eyes stare at me. Before I can make a move or push him away he disappeared. I looked behind me to make sure he wasn't behind me. I looked at the baby only to see blood around his mouth and to see blood dripping beside him. I grabbed him and looked up to see his mother on the ceiling in flames.
I gulped before running out of the room. I go to the dad to see him barely breathing.

"Hey, I got Edward. He's okay." I told him as I knelt down towards him. He let out a small smile before it dropped.

"I'm not gonna make it. Protect him. Please, protect him." He stated as he looked at me. I let out a sigh before nodding my head.

"I promise." I stated with a sigh.

"Thank you." He whispered before he closed his eyes as he let out his last breath. I stood up and walked out of the house. I looked at the baby in my arms and saw he was looking at me and cooing. I walked to my car and got in. I grabbed my phone and dialed 911 as I drove away from the burning house.

                       ┊┊❁ཻུ۪۪♡ ͎. 。˚   °

4:00Am

My car started to sputter as it slowed down. I let out a curse as I pulled over to the side of the road. I looked down at Edward to see him sleeping peacefully on my chest. I shifted so I could get comfortable and slowly I fell asleep too.

                         ┊┊❁ཻུ۪۪♡ ͎. 。˚   °

8:00Am

I heard cooing sounds which made me open my eyes and blink out the sleepiness. I look down at my chest to see a baby looking at me.

What the fuck? Why do I have a baby on my chest?