xvi. boys and girls

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament, since it's inception." Professor McGonagall announces to the room of Gryffindor's. I raise my eyebrows at Ron, who's sitting on the other side of the room, along with all the other boys. Filch is struggling with the record player, interrupting the Professor.

"On Christmas Eve night, we and our guests gather in the Great Hall, for a night of well-mannered frivolity." She paces back and forth. "As representatives of the host school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward. Literally, because The Yule Ball is essentially, a dance." The mention of a dance gets all of the girls giddy with excitement. The opportunity to dress up for once, to make a move with the boy they're crushing on, and to have fun, especially during times like now. The boys are all on the opposite side of the room, they all groan.

"Silence. The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for 10 centuries and I will not have you besmirching that name in an evening by behaving like and babbling, bumbling, band of baboons." She warns us all. Hermione lets out a soft giggle beside me. I notice the twins across the room, talking between themselves.

"Inside every girl, a secret swan slumbers, longing to burst forth and take flight." Ron mumbles at the Professors words, catching her attention. "Inside every boy, a lordly lion prepared to prance, Mr. Weasley. Will you join me please?" She lifts him off of his chair. Hermione and I laugh at him, Harry and the twins join in from across the room. As Ron and Professor McGonagall start to waltz in front of our entire house. The twins pretend to waltz with them, making fun of their brother, the girls all stand up quickly, wanting to dance with the boys, who are all still sitting, reluctant to show any affection towards the girls. Then Neville stands up, taking Ginny's hand and starts practising with her. The girls start to get antsy and I take Hermione's hands, stating to practise with her. We laugh as we waltz around the room, our robes flowing behind us as we spin.

⊱✿⊰

The next few weeks, leading up to Christmas, were spent trying to find dates to the ball. Hermione, Ginny and I were sitting in our Dorm talking about who we were wanting to go with

"I would've liked Harry to ask me." Ginny says shyly, "But Neville's already asked me so it'd be rude to swap." She shrugs.

"I heard that he asked Cho Chang, but she already has a partner." Hermione adds. "Clover, has Cedric asked you yet?" I shake my head, I hadn't really spoken to him since the first challenge of the tournament.

"No, not yet at least. I'm hoping that he does because I'm not really interested in anyone else, and can't see anyone else asking me. Has anyone asked you?" I reply, nudging her shoulder playfully. She blushes and looks down.

"Well, yes actually. Viktor Krum" Ginny and I squeal. "I didn't say yes, yet. I was hoping someone else would ask me, but they haven't yet so I'm just waiting to see." She hushes us.

"Who could possibly be better than Krum?" Ginny asks, very confused by Hermione's taste in men. Hermione gives a a look to say 'help'.

"I mean, personal preference, right?" I shrug, saving Hermione from admitting to her very obvious feelings for Ron, in front of his sister.

We sit in a study period the next day, supervised by Snape. Ron and Harry were complaining to each other about not finding dates.

"They travel in packs, you can never single one out. At this rate, we'll be the only ones without dates. " Ron complains, Snape hits him over the head. I glance at Hermione who's sitting across from me, she looks back and sighs.  A piece of parchment scrunched into a ball is thrown at Ron's head, he opens and read it, looking over to Fred.

"'Hurry up or all the good ones will be gone.' Well who are you taking then?" Ron turns his nose up at his brother. Fred scans the table, locking eyes with me, then jumping his gaze to Angelina Johnson, another 6th year Gryffindor. 

"Oi Angelina." Fred whisper shouts. She looks over. He pretends to dance and then points to himself, as a way of asking her to the ball, to everyone's surprise, she says yes. Fred sends a big wink Ron's way. Ron sighs and looks over at Hermione. My eyes linger on Angelina for a second longer than they should, then I switch my gaze to the boy, who's already looking at me. I realise that I have a disgusted, almost jealous look plastered across my face. I clear my throat and turn back to my notes. 

"Hermione... you're a girl, right?" Ron whispers. Harry starts to snicker. 

"Well spotted." She scoffs, continuing with her work. 

"Want to come with one of us?" He asks, Snape whacks the boys over the head with a text book before walking away slowly. "I mean, it's one thing for a bloke to show up alone, but a girl? It's just sad." I widen my eyes and drop my jaw. Ron chose death. Hermione takes a deep breathe to control her anger.

"I won't be going alone, because believe it or not, someone's already asked me!" She growls, getting out of her chair and heading over to Snape with her finished work. I stare at the boys with a disappointed look. "And I said yes." She comes back for her robe and storms out of the hall. I let out a laugh, half expecting Snape to throw a book at me, but he just glances over me. 

"She's lying right?" Ron asks the table. No one replies to him. I look up at Snape who's standing behind both of the boys, pulling his sleeves up. "Look Harry, we've just got to grit our teeth and do it. Tonight when we get back  to the common room, we'll both have partners, agreed?" Snape grabs both the boy's heads and shoves their faces into their books. I laugh again, getting a disappointed scowl from Snape. 

⊱✿⊰

I'm sitting in the common room with Harry, reading a book when Ron is guided in by Ginny and some Gryffindor girls.

"What happened?" I sit up.

"He asked Fleur Delacour to the ball." Ginny replied. 

"And what did she say?" Harry asks. 

"No, of course." Ginny sits her brother down next to me.

"There she was, walking by. You know how I like it when they walk." He reminisces. "And then it sort of slipped out."

"Actually, he sort of screamed at her. It was a bit frightening." Ginny laughs, correcting him. 

"And then?" Hermione came over to the group.

"And then I ran for it, what else could I do? I'm not cut out for this." He breathes slowly. The Patil twins walk past, catching Harry's attention. He follows them. 

Hermione and I spend the weekends Hogsmeade trip shopping for dresses for the ball. We asked Ginny to come with us, but she said she already had a dress.

"So, has Cedric asked you yet?" She asks as she looks through the clothing racks in a boutique. 

"No." I sigh. "But, I am just assuming we're going together, I mean, we were basically dating." I shrug, a tone of uneasiness in my voice. She looks worried. I follow her through a number of small boutiques through out the day, making small talk. We walk into one last shop as the sun starts to set. 

"Oh my goodness." She gasps as she runs to a blush pink dress. She take sit off of the rack to admire it. She holds it up to her body and I gasp in awe. 

"It looks perfect, Hermione!" I hold my hands to my face, admiring it with her. She looks at the price on the tag. 

"It's a bit expensive for just one night..." She hesitates.

"But it's an important dress! This is your revenge dress for Ron! Everyone is going to be so jealous of Krum when they see you." I reassure her. She finally nods and goes up to pay. I continue looming for my perfect dress. I come across a long, slim black dress with gold chains draping across it. I pick it up and hold it out to look at it.

"Get. That. Now." Hermione drops her jaw. I hesitate, like she did before. "Need I repeat what you just told me?" I roll my eyes jokingly and go up to pay for the dress. I picked some gold heels with butterfly wings to match the dress and Hermione practically ran back to Hogwarts, excited to try our dresses on.