xxxv. going back

Hermione and sit in the common room, waiting for news from the Weasleys and Harry. We're both curled up in the leather arm chairs opposite each other, staring blankly at the coffee table between us and my notes sprawled out on it. 

"Were you down here with Fred? When Harry came out?" She asked, not looking up at me. 

"I was just studying." I say quickly, too quickly, and she raises her eyes at me. 

"Just studying? Is that why you wrote the same like what is it... 11... 12... 15 times?" 

"Uh... yeah. Y'know, repetition and recall and... yeah I was studying." I try to save myself from exposing the relationship. Before she can ask her next question, the Weasleys walk in accompanied by McGonagall. Hermione and I stand immediately, watching them and waiting for an explanation. The Weasleys don't say anything and head up to their dormitories quickly, leaving McGonagall with Hermione and I. 

"Arthur Weasley was attacked, but is now at Grimmauld place. The Weasley children will be arriving by Portkey tonight." McGonagall explains to us, noticing our concern. 

"Is he alright?" Hermione asks, still worried. 

"He is resting. The three of you will be able to join them for the Christmas break at the end of the week. Being you two and Mr. Potter." McGonagall reassures us. 

"Where's Harry?" I ask her, sitting back down in the chair. 

"He's preoccupied with Professor Snape. I expect he should be back within the hour." The Weasleys walk down with some of their belonging in small bags, ready to go back to Grimmauld place. I look up at Fred and see a worried expression spread across his face. "I'll be in the hall when you all are ready. Miss Granger and Miss May, you should get some sleep." McGonagall smiles and slips out of the room. 

"Are you all okay?" Hermione walks over to give Ginny a hug. 

"Yes we're okay. We just have to go see them, make sure he's alright." Ron says, walking over to sit on the arm of my chair. I give his hand a squeeze to show my support for them. I look back over to Fred and see him fidgeting. 

"We better get going." George says quietly, walking towards the door, dangling his bag at his knees. Ron jumps off the chair and gives me a hug before following him with Ginny. I make my way over to Fred and give him a quick hug, squeezing him tightly before the others look back.

"I'll see you on Friday, yeah?" I tilt my head up to him, whispering. 

"I'll see you then." He leans down to plant a kiss on my forehead before following his siblings out of the room. I stand in place with a frown as I watch the door close.

"What's wrong?" Hermione turns to look at me. 

"Just... worried." I shrug, reaching to the coffee table to grab my notes and heading towards the stairs to the dormitories. 

"About Fred?" She raises an eyebrow.

"Yeah." I say without thinking, spinning back around after realising what I said. "A-and Ron. And the rest of them."

"But mostly Fred, right? It's just us, you can tell me." She walks closer to me. 

"Hermione I..." I start to back up the stairs as she closes in on me. 

"You thought you could hide it from me, you forgot how smart I am, Clover." She crosses her arms. "Why didn't you tell me?" She looks hurt. 

"Could you imagine if anyone found out? Ron would murder the both of us! And people would talk and... it would be too much drama if anyone found out." I shrug slightly.