xvii. a betrayal

Hogwarts would normally be empty the night before Christmas. Most students would go home to their families to celebrate, while a few would stay behind for study and with friends. This year Hogwarts seemed more alive than ever. The girls around the school looked a mess, either waiting until before the ball to get ready, or doing preparations. While some of the boys were buzzing with excitement, most were still moping around, wondering why there even needed to be a ball. Lunch was like a zoo. There were girls with rollers in their hair, some with facemasks on and all still in their pyjamas. Hermione and I were shocked when we sat down.

"It's like they've all forgotten that we're still at school." She rolled her eyes. I smiled and took a sip of my orange juice. 

"I wish I could forget that I'm at school. I am a bit excited to get dressed up tonight though." I reply.

"Me too. Do you have everything we need?" She raises an eyebrow and I nod. A relieved smile washes across her face and we sit an eat without talking. We're just about to leave when I watch Cedric walk into the hall. I stare at him and he doesn't acknowledge me, walking straight over to Cho Chang, sliding next to her on a seat. Hermione must've seen my face as she whips her head around to stare at him as well.

"Clover I'm so sorry." She frowns. I keep staring s the two share a plate of food with one fork. 

"It's... fine." I reply, standing up to leave. Hermione follows me out the door, grabbing my hand and squeezing it. I can't think of anything to say to her when we enter the common room, where there are more girls discussing their dates for the ball. 

"Is there anyone that you could go with?" She asks, sitting us on a couch way from the crowd. I shake my head slightly and try to sniff away some tears. She pulls me into a hug. 

"What's wrong with her?" Ron rudely interrupts our little moment. I can feel Hermione mouthing some angry words at him. "What?" He asks again, completely clueless. I sit up and stare at him with my red, puffy eyes and a big frown. His confused look turns into a worried and sympathetic stare. 

"I'm not going to the ball." I tell him, staring straight into his soul. 

"Huh? Why not? If I have to go them you have to go, I'm not going if its an optional thing because frankly I'd rather-" He starts to bumble on and on.

"Ronald!" Hermione yells at him. 

"What? It's not fair! I don't even want to go." He whines.

"I do want to go, I just don't have anyone to go with." I stop him before he continues. 

"What about pretty boy?" She turns his nose up.

"He's going with the amazing Cho Chang." I spit. Harry looks over and starts walking towards us.

"What about Cho? Why are you crying?" He looks down at me while tears keep falling down my face. 

"She's going with Cedric tonight." I inform him through sniffles.

"But... isn't he your boyfriend?" 

"No." I look past his shoulder and see Fred walking down the stairs with Angelina Johnson, I remember the conversation we had the first night at Hogwarts, about Cedric. "We were never actually official so..."

"So? That doesn't mean he can go with Cho!" He basically screams, we all look at him weirdly.

"Harry... you seem a bit too passionate about this." Hermione pats his arm from where she's sitting. Harry's face goes a bit red as everyone in the common room stares at the four of us now, I try to hide the fact that I've been crying, by pushing my black hair across my face and looking down. 

"Sorry... I just don't like it when my friends are betrayed." He says a lot more quietly. 

"It's okay. It just sucks that I can't go now." I shrug.

"What? Why not?" Ron asks again.

"I don't have anyone to go with."

"So?"

"Ron, you're the one that said it was sad for a girl to go alone." I remind him and Hermione gives him a death stare. He looks away sheepishly. 

"Did you two mange to find anyone? Because if you didn't then-" Hermione begins.

"We did, sorry Clover." Harry gives me a sad look. "We hope you can find someone, and that you come, even if it is alone." Harry and Ron walk away slowly. Leaving me and Hermione on the couch alone. I look up through my teary eyes to watch them go, not knowing what to say to Hermione, when I make accidental eye contact with Fred, who's giving me a sad, pitiful look. Angelina is talking to him, trying to get his attention when he breaks the eye contact. I let out a sad sigh and stand up.

"Where are you going?" Hermione asks. I reach down and grab her hand. 

"Well you have to get ready, don't you. We can't sit around being sad all day." She smiles slightly as I pull her into our dormitory. 

⊱✿⊰

"Please get ready with us?" She asks, sitting in front of the mirror in our room. Ginny entered the dorm as well, her dress in her hands. 

"It'll be so fun if you do!" she says. I agree because they are trying so hard to make me feel included. Ginny sits in front of me as I help her braid some pieces of her hair. Hermione is working on her own hair, poking her tongue out as she concentrates. Once Hermione's put her hair up and Ginny's hair is done, they help me curl my own. Once they're done I look up into the mirror. It looks effortless and my curls look naturally tame. I thank them and help them both put on some makeup. Ginny steps out all done up in her green and pink dress and Hermione and I look at her in awe. 

"You're so pretty Ginny!" I gush.

"Stop that! Come on Hermione, your turn!" she blushes and sits down next to me. Hermione grabs her dress and hides behind a curtain to put it on. Ginny and I count down for her reveal and she pushes the curtain aside. She stands in her blush pink dress, feeling very confident and looking gorgeous.

"Hermione... you're stunning." Ginny stammers. 

"You're so... I can't even find the word." I struggle to summarise how beautiful she looks. She blushes a deep red and walks over to the mirror, taking in her reflection and twirling in her dress. The ball is her opportunity to show that she's more than just 'Harry Potter's know-it-all friend.'

"I'm so excited." She finally says. "Oh my gosh, we're going to be late." She looks at the time. 

"Viktor and Neville are so lucky, you guys." I stand at the op of the stairs as they walk down, hand in hand. They look back at me and frown. 

"Please come. Just for a bit." Hermione asks. She tells Ginny to go ahead without her as she walks back up to me. "It won't be fun without you."

"It'll just be embarrassing." I shrug. "Promise me to tell me how it is?" I cup her face with my hands and she nods sadly. She leaves the room and I'm standing at the bottom of the stairs, completely alone, for once.