Chapter 8

Clover yawned loudly as her and the dawn patrol walked along the edges of their territory. Clover knew the dawn patrol got up early, but not this early. Along with her was Shadestar, Rabbitfoot, and Venomstorm. So far she had caught two mice and failed to catch a rabbit, which was her main goal. Every cat hunts rabbits. It's what Meadowclan cats mainly eat! I cant be one of them if I don't know how to hunt a rabbit.

"You ok?" Clovers thoughts were interrupted by Rabbitfoot. The tom seemed nice, but they never really talked. Clover nodded. "Yeah. It's just—" She hesitated for a moment before sighing. "I don't think I'm doing to well."

"Why would you say that? You've already caught two peices of prey. No kitty-pet I know has ever done that." Rabbitfoot nods his head to Venomstorm and Shadestar, who held her two pieces of prey in their jaws. Clover flicked an ear, as though she was considering her accomplishment for a while.

Rabbitfoot chuckled. "Y'know, Lilyflower was exactly like you when she was an apprentice. She was so nervous that she wasn't doing well, but she got her warrior name." The ginger tom nodded. Clover smiled at the tom praising his mate, wishing she could find somecat like that someday. She shrugged to herself as the patrol stopped at a border. There was a huge oak tree that seemed to be stretching for miles.

"Alright." Shadestar looks around worriedly. "Let's mark the border and leave as quick as possible-"

"And why would you do that?" A white she-cat snuck out of the tall grass, an evil grin on her face. Two more rogues followed afterwards. One was black and white, and the other was a calico. All of them had ragged fur, the calico had missing patches of fur as well. Venomstorm dropped his prey in a bramble bush, snarling at the rogues angrily. The black and white cat let out a mrrrow of laughter.

"Well aren't you a feisty one? Say, Snowflake, I think they're askin' for a fight." He teased to the white she-cat. She nodded. "Yeah. I think they are."

Suddenly the rogues all unsheathed their claws, barring their yellowish teeth. Clover hissed, leaping at the calico. The rogue she-cat dodged out of the way, laughing at her Clover.

"You smell like a house-cat, what's a lazy little kitty like you doing in the wild?" Clover snarled at the rogues taunts, barreling them over. She clawed the calicos muzzle. The calico shook the blood away from her eyes and leaped at Clovers leg. The rouge bit down and Clover yowled in pain. She grabbed the scruff of the calico and tugged at it, throwing her off. The rogue hissed, leaping at her again. Clover dropped to a hunters crouch and grabbed the calicos stomach in mid air with her claws and teeth.

The calico screeched in pain as blood poured from the wound.

The two she-cats fell to the ground. Clover got off of the rogue as they ran away with their tail inbetween their legs. Clover raised her chin proudly, running back to help the rest of the patrol.

Shadestar and Rabbitfoot was facing off the black and white tom and was winning, so she left them alone. She faced the white she-cat who was fighting Venomstorm. Clover yowled in anger, raking her claws down the white she-cats cheek. The white rogue turned to Clover, completely distracted as Venomstorm bit down on her shoulder blade. Clover winced as she heard a sickening crunch of the rogues shoulder.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw movement. A young golden tabby was dragging the mouse out of its spiky hiding place and ran off with it.

"Their taking our prey!" She called out to the others.

The white rogue smiled gleefully. "Thanks, we really needed that." And she wobbled off to catch up with the other rogues. Rabbitfoot and Shadestar grouped up with Clover and Venomstorm. Clover inspected the two toms and saw no serious injuries. She sighed in relief.

"Where's the other mouse?" She asked Shadestar. "They took that one too."

A cold breeze blew, making Clover shiver. Every cat had one thing on their mind. Leaf-bare is coming soon. A fiery-orange leaf fell to Clovers paws.

"Let's just go home." Shadestar said defeatedly.

***

"I just don't think he'll give me a warriors name." She frowned to Volepaw and Firepaw. The three sat together around the prey pile, guarding it from any 'rogues' who dared to sneak into camp. After the fight, Shadestar has been very hostile and nervous, snapping at any cat who tried to calm him down. Firepaw shrugged, playing around with a stale piece of prey with his claws.

"I dunno. Maybe he will. I don't think some rogues can spook a leader out of doing their duty." Volepaw assured her. Firepaw snorted, covering his muzzle. Volepaw glanced at her brother, her eyebrows furrowing.

"What? What's so funny?" Firepaw burst out laughing. "You said duty!" Volepaw scoffed at him, stomping off to go find somebody else to talk to. Clover chuckled slightly at the siblings and sighed, her thoughts wandering back to her warrior name. Maybe I'll be stuck as Clover forever, maybe Shadestar will send me home. Or at least somewhere else that isn't here.

"All cats old enough to hunt field mice, join me under the high ledge for a clan meeting!" Her heart lifted. This is it! Shadestars giving Clover her own warrior name!

She bolted over to the center of the clearing, right below the high ledge. She looked behind her, seeing Venomstorm and Littlestorm huddling together, angrily mumbling to themselves. To her left was Rabbitfoot and his family happily chatting. Berrykit and Featherkit bickered endlessly, however. Her eyes landed on Lynxtuft who proudly sat next to a staring Flowerfield. He smiled at her, dipping his head.

"Cats of Meadowclan," Shadestar began. "Clover has been training endlessly for her warrior name, and after winning the fight against the rogues I have come to realize she earns one now." Clover shuffled nervously, her legs feeling weak from the excitement. Oh, I hope he gives me a good name! It better not be anything stupid like Cloverstorm. We already have enough storms in this clan.

"I, Shadestar, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this kitty-pet. She has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code and I commend her to you as a warrior in her turn." Shadestar nodded for Clover to come up on the high ledge. She bounds up the fallen stones that act as a staircase and stand eye to eye with the old leader.

"Clover, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and protect Meadowclan, even with your own life?"

"I do." Clover replied calmly.

"Then from this day forward your warrior name will be Cloverstream for your calming and warm personality. Just like the meadows stream." Shadestar said cheerfully. Cloverstream? What a silly name. She laughed to herself as her and Shadestar touched noses.

But it's mine.