Thirty

"Honey, we need to talk," my mom said with a tone that I hadn't heard her use in years. She hang up before I could ask her what it was about and even as I sat with my friends at lunch, I couldn't get my mother's call and the seriousness of her tone out of my mind.

Was I in trouble?

I knew I had done everything right to make sure that the money I used to bail out Killian wouldn't be traced to my account, but I had a feeling that it could be the reason why my mother had called.

I quickly sent a text to Wren asking if my parents knew about the bail. I stared at my phone for what seemed like hours, waiting for a text back but it didn't come as soon as I hoped which only increased my worry.

Not only had I gotten detention for being out of school during class hours, I was also definitely in trouble at home.

After Killian had walked away from me yet again, Kristen, Martin, Nick and I came back to school only to receive detention slips for leaving school without permission. I felt guilty about getting my friends into trouble, but I didn't care about the punishment because being able to get Killian out of there meant a whole lot more to me than spending an extra hour in school.

In any case, it gave me a chance to relax before speaking to my mom.

Sadly, that hour came all too soon. Angela had actually come to pick him up on time for the first time and from the grim look on her face, I knew it wasn't because she was feeling particularly punctual.

"What's going on?" I asked her.

"Nothing...," she said, her voice octaves higher than it usually was. Angela breathed in for a moment when we reached a red light. "Look, there's nothing serious going on..." she said slowly.

I raised a brow. Angela was usually confident and extremely sure of herself. It wasn't like her to act so fidgety and I could instantly tell that something was indeed wrong. "Tell me," I basically ordered.

The twenty five year old woman sighed yet again and spared me a glance before sending her eyes back to the road when the lights turned green. "Your mom knows about the money."

I let out a sigh, nodding. It wasn't exactly surprising. I guessed that to be the only reason why my mom acted so serious. Between my parents, she was the least strict and always gave me what I wanted, so for her to be upset meant that what I had done was not something she approved of.

And having her call me before my or eye got home meant that my father likely had no idea... yet. If he did, there was no way I'd be allowed to see Killian.

"How did she know?" I asked after a minute of silence.

"It's not Wren's fault," Angela instantly defended as she slowed the car to look at me with pleading eyes. "He didn't want to tell her, but you know... she's his employer and he couldn't lie to her."

I sighed and closed my eyes, turning my head to the window. Of course I couldn't blame Wren. I didn't. I was the one who dragged him into my issues in the first place. Knowing that I could have possibly got him into trouble caused a wave of guilt of wash over me.

I had to at least let my mom know that it wasn't Wren's fault. But what was the best way to tell your parents that you got your chef to bail your boyfriend out of jail? Especially when said boyfriend sold hard drugs.

Even I knew it was an usual situation. My parents would never approve of Killian if they knew the truth about him. And the thought of them disliking him before they even got to know Killian was quite distressing.

Angela didn't say more and I didn't ask either. I already knew what she wanted from me and I agreed with her. If my parents decided to fire Wren for helping me, I'd have to speak on his behalf. It was the least I could do.