Fourteen

Lunch in school on Friday had to be the first fight I had ever had with someone who wasn't Angela. Unless we were counting the little argument with Killian yesterday. But no, Nick was really pushing my buttons and I did not appreciate it. I have never been the kind of person to bend over and simply do someone's bidding, no. That has never been me. I liked to do things my own way and in my own time, and if I didn't get what I wanted, I got frustrated. And right now, frustrated was undermining how I was feeling.

Why couldn't Nick understand that I really wanted to go on this date with Killian?

"I simply don't understand why you would even agree to it," Nick grumbled before sipping his coke. I just glared at him.

What more did I have to say? I was tired of explaining and it really didn't help that Kris was not here to help me out. Apparently, Martin had decided to take her out somewhere today.

"Nick," I sighed and he looked up at me with those worried brown eyes of his. He kind of looked like a puppy. Shaking my head, I continued, "I have never been on a date before, ever in my life. So, please don't ruin this feeling for me."

"I'm not trying to ruin it Dyl," he stated, making me grimace. Somehow, the nickname did not roll well on his tongue at all. Maybe I just preferred it coming from someone else. "I'm actually happy that you're going out on a date, since you've never been out to anywhere on your own before. I just would have preferred it if it wasn't with him," he explained with malice in his tone when he mentioned 'him'.

"Why not? What is so wrong about me going on a date with him? If you haven't noticed, I happen to like Killian very much."

"That's the point, Dylan. You don't know him well enough. If you did then...," he paused.

"Then what? I wouldn't like him as much? Maybe you should let me actually get to the point of knowing him well enough, don't you think?" I drawled, rolling my eyes.

Nick just sighed then as he pushed his tray away from him. "If you don't understand, then let it go. Go on that date, see if I care," he bit as he got up from his seat.

"Are you jealous? Is that it?" I asked him, making him stop in his tracks. "Did you like him too? Did you want to go on a date with him? Is that why you're so angry about it?"

Nick appeared to be flabbergasted at my words as he turned to me with wide eyes, but not with a look that said how did you know that, instead, he looked rather horrified.

"Ew, what? No! That's ...that's not it. I don't like him like that," he said, almost shocked and horrified.

"Then what it is it then?"

"You won't understand," he said, shaking his head as he walked away.

I let out a sigh of frustration then, turning to look around the cafeteria. I was tired of all these parables that they were giving me. Why wouldn't they just tell me what was going on. In any case, I was still going on that date, and that was final.

Yet still, I felt a bit scared, or perhaps, worried that it wouldn't turn out as great as I imagined it would. I actually spent the whole of last night worrying about it that I texted Killian. I asked him to tell me where it was we were going, and what we'd be doing, but of course, he just became Mr. Mysterious again.

At least, he did soothe a bit of my worries when he admitted to be scared as well. Apparently, this was the first time in a long time he was doing something like this, so I decided that, in a way, we were both going on our first dates. He still didn't tell me where we were going, but that didn't bother me as much since we FaceTimed for most of the night, with him just telling me stories he had once read before. Most of them I already knew, like The Great Gatsby, and 1984.