Forty

"I'd like to take you somewhere." Killian moved away slightly from me as he sat up in his bed, his eyes studying my face carefully. I bit my lip as I looked at him, meeting his gaze with my curious one.

"Okay?" I asked. I'd been at his and Chris's place for the past two hours and we had done nothing but cuddle in his bed all that time, with a little kissing here and there. I didn't mind relaxing with him, especially after the kind of day we'd had. Not only had I formally introduced him to my parents over dinner, I'd also found out less than three hours ago that my parents were planning on moving our whole life to another state.

"I know you're still feeling iffy about me meeting your parents," he stated. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep myself from correcting him. I definitely wasn't bothered by the fact that he met my parents. Heck, that was the highlight of my day.

Killian still had no idea why I'd come here at this time, and I still wasn't ready to let him know. Not yet. Not when we were good.

"I think it'll help you to relax a lot more," he continued. "We can call up Nicky, Kris and Martin too. Hell if you wanna invite Marlon, I don't mind. It'll be kinda fun," he suggested.

I found myself nodding in agreement to his suggestion even though I didn't know where he planned on taking me. And having our friends around also seemed like a good idea, even Marlon.

Though things between me and the cute French boy didn't work out, I still considered him a friend and thought it would be nice to have him and Killian get along. Being together with all my friends was surely enough to keep me sane and keep me from drowning in the sea of thoughts that plagued my mind about moving.

"You'll love it, I promise," Killian assured as he cupped my face gently and kissed me. He quickly got up and put on a jacket, packing a few items into his backpack before turning to me with his arm outstretched.

"Ready?"

I smiled to myself as I watched him, his eyes full of glee as if he couldn't wait to show me what he had planned. I nodded and took his hand, smiling widely as he pulled me in and kissed me again.

I'm definitely going to miss this.

I blanked, shutting my eyes and opening them again and again for a few seconds as my heart hammered in my chest. Why did I think that? I let out a breath as I willed myself to push those thoughts to the back of my mind and instead, focused on Killian.

***

I wasn't sure what I was expecting when Killian said I'd love what he had planned, but when we finally got to the lake and the cold breeze passed over my face, I smiled widely and breathed in the fresh crisp air, unable to hide my excitement. It was so strange, weirdly, how in only about three months of knowing him, Killian had come to know me so well. The lake and its surroundings had easily become one of my favorite places to visit ever since Killian brought me out here for the first time.

It was calm and serene, the only sounds that could be heard were the lake, the swishing of the leaves and the fireflies. The moon shone over the water in a way that was so beautiful that I almost berated Killian for not letting me go home for my camera. But that didn't bother me. Being here and sharing this moment with me was something I was going to remember and cherish forever.

Killian's hand left mine as we made our way to the bank of the lake and he immediately got onto the ground, sitting without a care in the world. I pursed my lips as I looked around on the sandy ground.

"Don't tell me you're worried about staining your shorts," said Killian, smirking at me.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "I'm not exactly worried," I lied but I knew that was pointless. He saw right through me and scoffed. "It's inevitable."