Chapter 5

After 3 painful hours of standing in the kitchen and being yelled at my mom, dinner was finally made. I held a bowl of gravy, pausing when my brothers came rushing in.

It was like they were starved for years. As they snatched all of the chicken legs and sat at the table like neanderthals, I truly wished I had a sister I could share my cringe with.

I went to set down the bowl I held, shock forming on my face when I realised it was gone. I lived with animals.

Including Papà, who cleared his throat after gulping a glass of beer. With dinner. "When you're all finished eating I have something to discuss with you boys."

I fought an eye roll. From his tone I knew it was business related and I never wanted to involve myself in that, but then he mentioned a name that made me freeze in my spot.

Cristian.

"It's about Russo." He said with a mouthful of food. Now I was interested.

After I was finished eating dinner, me, Mama and Nonna were expected to leave so we did.

I mean, I couldn't lie - I was eager to know more information about that psychopath, but I knew I wasn't allowed to stay. So I waited for their meeting to be over before I asked Romeo about my Papà's plans.

My brother swiped a hand over his jaw as he walked out from the kitchen, tension prominent in his shoulders and expression.

"What did he say?" I whispered a little too quickly.

"He paid Russo to kill all of the Coopers. He was planning on it for months, thats why he sent us to the ball."

For safety.

"I'm surprised it's actually done." He continued. "Papà's been trying to get rid of the Coopers for years."

"It was a one time thing right?" I rubbed my chin. "And that was why the hitman came over yesterday, to get paid."

"Whatever it is, pray that Papà isn't going to deal with him again."

The fact that I understood him without even knowing of Cristian's reputation said a lot about him, yet I still stared at my brother with question. "Why?"

Romeo let out a scoff telling me he thought I was too young to know and tried walking off before I grabbed his arm and tugged him back.

Romeo gave me an eye roll and stopped. "il cupo mietitore (the grim reaper)."

"The grim reaper?"

"Its what some people call the bastard. He's a hitman, and a pretty good one too."

"Yea right. What's his ranking?"

"1# for now."

My lips shot open. "In America? Then isn't he dangerous? And why didn't he kill all of you when you guys attacked him?"

Romeo raised a shoulder and walked away, probably thinking he'd told me too much. But this information was a clear warning to me and I'd be foolish to not listen.