Chapter 31

~Cristian POV~

Night swallowed dusk, shooting snow from the sky. The cold closed in around me, but nothing could have tamed the fire burning on the surface of my skin.

I ran a hand through my wet hair. My heart still pounded loud at the memory of her lips firm against mine. Her silky hair spun around my fingers. The hot blooded male in me wanted to leave my room and kiss her again, harder, but if I did, I knew I wouldn't be able to stop until the desire in me burned out like a flame.

Also, I was distracted by the possibility of Giuseppe or his five minion sons finding out Elena was here. They'd make noise, attract attention I didn't want. One whisper of where I was and father would come running.

Elena was on the couch when I padded downstairs. She'd moved one of the armchairs next to the window and was curled up, staring at almost white windows.

Her long, chocolate hair was in a ponytail, and she was so lost in thought she didn't notice me until I lifted the metal lid off the plate on the island.

"You made this?"

She was upright now. "It's the only recipe I know."

I rubbed my jaw. I couldn't remember the last time somebody personally made me a meal, aside from chefs. I took a seat at the island and dug a fork into the chicken and rice. I'd never tasted anything like it, all that was in my palate was pastas.

When I was done, I took my plate to the sink. Elena, a good cook. What a surprise.

"I'm a people pleaser."

The sound of her voice made me turn.

"I don't know why..." she played with her shirt."Maybe because I was kept away from the world, I thought my family were all I had so...if I let them down, I'd have no one."

I wasn't used to being confided in, but I'd been watching her from the sidelines for a long time and was tired of watching her beloved Papa mess with her.

"Aren't you gonna say something?"

"How do I say it nicely....You have to tell your family to fuck off."

She raised a brow. "You never cared about nice before. What happened now?"

Brown hair, shiny eyes. Her name was Elena.

"You get nothing from trying to please people." I continued. "Especially not your family."

"You talking from experience?"

My eyes trailed off at her question. One reminder of him and all I could feel were whips and rope ties. His taunting voice rose to the surface, rocky and emotionless just like him.

"Cristian?"

Elena's brows were high. Her prey like curiosity was leading her into uncharted waters, but I had no plan of entertaining it. To go over the damage he caused would be cutting open the wounds again, and I'd fucking bled enough.

The sharp ring of the doorbell snapped me out of my thoughts. Elena looked at me, but I remained in my place. It started ringing repeatedly and I let it knowing damn well it was Mario, but then Elena got up.