Chapter 34

~Cristian POV~

The last time I did something stupid, I was a teenager who got thrown in prison. It took years to learn not to make dumb decisions, only for me to throw it away.

Sitting forward in the armchair, I ran a hand over my scruff. I was torn between two sides. Leaving the country, or staying and risking a clash with my father. Nothing was worth seeing him again, except the thought of what'd happen behind if I left.

Her Papa would marry her off in a day.

That bastard would do anything to keep her away from me. My gaze trailed to the bed, over the ray of sunlight across a olive skin. Giuseppe could come with every man in New York by his side, but I had what I wanted right here. I wasn't giving it up and to hell with the consequences.

Standing, I moved to her bed and let my eyes travel up her bare arm, to her face. Fuck. I told myself I'd only be watching, but then I let the knuckles of my fingers slide across her cheek.

She slept like a fucking angel. On her side, with her silky hair sprawled over the pillow.

I'd seen the world's fair share of beautiful women, but no one could compare to this...
Elena's beauty wasn't just skin deep; it resonated from the depths of her soul.

Her doe eyes exuded warmth that could soothe the most fucked up people, and her lips...they weren't used for abusing. They were soft and gentle like her words, except when it came to me.

I trailed my thumb across her lower lip, my breath hardened in my lungs. I couldn't blame Giuseppe for not wanting to give his daughter to me.

She was the only uncorrupted woman for miles in this city, and every part of her was going to be mine.

———

I was at the kitchen island tracking down one of my hits on the laptop when Elena came downstairs. I took a glance at her and moved my eyes back to the screen.

I thought when women fell apart they looked it, but she was normal as ever. Dressed in a pale blue sweater and pants, her waist-length hair in a ponytail.

She greeted the maid and I threw back the last of my coffee, watching her open the fridge. I was weirded out when she pulled out an apple and put it in a plastic bag, but didn't react until she slid her feet into her boots.

"And where are you going?"

"I'm going back. Its my final decision."

I closed my laptop.  "Its a stupid decision."

She tilted her head with disapproval. "I can't stay here forever."

"Why not?"

"I have to go back, you know what'll happen if I don't."

I knew the men in her family wouldn't care that she came here on her own. All they'd see was her at my place and assume the worst, but I didn't know why she was afraid of them.

They were spineless, they couldn't come near me without ten weapons under their clothes let alone enter my house.

"They won't reach me." I said and she chewed on her lip as if evaluating my answer.