Chapter 14

"What's the address?" Cristian asked as he started his car. I pulled out a piece of paper from my pocket and handed it to him.

I wouldn't lie, the nerves had started to kick in now I was going to see my psycho ex after a year. God, just saying ex made me feel like a fraud.

I wondered what my Papa would say if he found out I'd been dating in high school. I bet my brothers would be angry at themselves, considering they'd watch me like a hawk and made sure I stayed away from guys in school.

One time a guy friend tried hugging me and Vito broke his nose. I didn't show my face in school for days.

Cristian started to drive, over a highway, through neighbourhoods, and finally stopping outside a small house. Joshua had downgraded.

This entire neighbourhood looked deserted, with all of the lights shut inside the houses. His place only had a faint glow coming from the front window, and furniture was scattered near the wire fence.

Cristian got out and when I opened my door his stare shot daggers.

"You're staying in the car." He spat, suddenly so tense compared to how he was in the diner.

"You stay in the car." I poked my head out before I'm pushed back so roughly my elbows landed in the drivers seat. A gasp jumped out of me, and before I knew it he slammed the door and locked it.

Before he could disappear onto the pathway outside the house, I stuck my middle finger out at him and almost regretted it.

I didn't recognise who I was whenever he made me mad. Mad enough to swear. Mad enough to make rude gestures I was never taught.

My breath was dry as I sat back in my seat, staring at the ceiling. Praying that whatever Cristian said about killing Joshua was a joke. A twisted joke and nothing else.

~Cristian~

The creak of the red, short door cut through the silence as it opened. Light, unfamiliar eyes examined me from a crack before I pushed it open.

"What the fuck bro?" Somebody muttered as I walked in, laying eyes on a cartoon looking guy. I had to see what her type was, and right now I could have fucking laughed.

He was blonde, dressed like a surfer and had skin that would be white as paper if it weren't for the orange layer over his skin.

When I towered over him, he looked up at me and gulped. "Woah man- look whatever money I must have borrowed from you is gone, I-"

"The video. Hand it over."

His eyes narrowed on me, some of the fear in his eyes being replaced by a realisation. "No way." He whispered to himself, stumbling back and knocking over a small table. "I told that bitch to come alone. I told her to come. Alone!"

I worked my jaw, blood rushing behind my ears and covering the sound of a tv playing in the other room. The little natural colour left from his face started to drain once I took another step closer to him, before clenching my fists and turning around.

I strolled deeper into the house, initially looking to see if anyone else was here before my eyes fell on something - rope laying in a pile.