Chapter 37

~Elena POV~

Nothing could reach me. Tucked away so high up, that the world below seemed hushed and serene.

The cool of the balcony railing sank into my fingertips as I stroked it. Crisp air crept beneath the blanket around my shoulders, and a presence made me still.

I gave him fifteen seconds to come out here and he beat my estimate. Apparently a sniper could be across from me in one of the neighbouring buildings, so the balcony was off limits, but I didn't move. A thought had been lodged in my mind.

It was the first thing to come out my mouth. "Why did you come to New York?"

My gaze met his. As he slid his hands into the pockets of his sweatpants, heat fought with the chill on my skin.

"Giuseppe offered me a deal, to kill his enemies for money."

I blinked my eyes away for a second. My father never liked Cristian, but I guess only he could cut down his long list of enemies.

"He offered me an amount I couldn't refuse, but I didn't take it." He continued, and his jaw ticked as if he were restraining himself from saying more. "Until my circumstances changed."

I turned away to face the view, mist shielding the buildings around. "Do you think...destiny exists?"

"Foul play and privilege does."

A breeze shifted through my hair. "And did it you get where you wanted?"

I couldn't ignore the way his voice roughened, satisfaction looping his words. "No. I did that myself."

Footsteps scraped along the snow covered tiles, and my spine tingled at his voice so near. "Told you not to go on the balcony alone."

"I like seeing the city when its not behind glass." I said, spinning to face him. "I'm a visualiser."

"You can visualise me spanking your ass."

A smile played on my lips and before I could stop it, I laughed. It was so unexpected on both ends, his expression stilled at the sound, and then softened.

Bliss rose to my chest, made my heart slow but beat harder. The warmth of his presence thawed the ice around me, and the part of me that once thought love was unattainable in my world.

He took my hand, pulled me to the door but before we got inside, I dipped down to grab a handful of snow.

A thud sounded against his chest, and intensity seeped into his gaze. "Enough visualising." He said. "It's about to happen."

When he grabbed my waist I let out a laugh so loud, I knew it could be heard from the surrounding buildings, but I didn't care. I wanted the world to know.

He carried me inside and stuck to his word.

It went like that until sundown, and then all night. My infatuation had me on such a high, I lost all perception of anything that wasn't him.

But despite all of it, I couldn't push away the fear that my world would catch up to me.

I walked out from the bathroom, and my gaze fell on him. He wore nothing but boxers as black as his soul, laying on his stomach. Half of him under the covers, the other bare.