Chapter 12

~Elena~

Holy crap was this exhausting.

All I had to do was sit here for 2 hours waiting for my bus, but my impatience had long gotten out of hand aka I'was bored as hell.

For the past half an hour I'd been staring at tall, grey buildings, car whizzing past the main road, and the few trees in this neighbourhood sway with the wind.

Autumn could be so pretty in some parts of the city. It was a shame I couldn't enjoy it, I mean my stomach was growling with hunger.

I could have ran to the corner store and grabbed a prepackaged sandwich but my safe haven right now was this bus stop.

I checked the time on my burner phone once more and sighed. Only a minute had passed.

My eyes stared at the road ahead. Watched the cars drive by, watched the people walk their kids to school as they rambled on about how excited they were to see their friends. 

I even caught the eye of a little kid looking my way and smiled at him, waving back when he fluttered his little fingers at me.

How lucky was he to have a mother that truly cared for him? One that held his hand and didn't ridicule him when he spoke from his heart.

Oh to be in a different circumstance. To not be trapped under my Papà's thumb, unable to breath or to move or to love.

Leaning my head back I crossed my arms and watched a shiny black car pull up on the sidewalk. I looked away, looked back and when I came to a realisation my heart sank.

No. It couldn't be him.

I was jumping to conclusions, New York wasn't that small. And besides, almost everyone had a black shiny car polished to oblivion, right?

I pulled my hoodie over my head and hung it. He couldn't see me. He couldn't. See. Me.

My disguise could fool anyone.

The door opened, and I threw every thought of reassurance out the window. Shit. Shit shit shit shit shit. It was him and I knew it.

He got out of the car and all I could hear was my heart banging against my ribcage, or footsteps coming towards me.

A pair or shiny black shoes stopped in front of my eyes and for the first few seconds I refused to look up. I am fucked.

My sight slowly peeled off of the ground and moved up, running over long legs, abs I could see the shape of through his black t-shirt, and a broad bodice before I stopped.

I'd never seen it clearly before, but I should have known his neck tattoo would be one of a skull and bones. No wonder people ran from him like he was hades.

It took me forever to reach his eyes, and when I did my pulse went cold.

"Going for a walk?" His tone was dry.

I opened my mouth to reply but no words could come out. Eventually I found my voice. "How did you find me here?"

Maybe if I ran now I could lose him. But just the thought of him chasing after me made my throat swell with panic.