Chapter 40

~Cristian~

A screech pulled me to consciousness. When my eyes shot open to see pitch black, recognition lurched in my stomach.

I knew where I was. Though I was in a different place every time, the putrid smell of rotting metal crept up on me like nostalgia.

His way of restraining me never changed either. My arms were tied so tightly above my head, they were numb.

The last time I was here, it was because I didn't run fast enough. This time, I willingly walked into his trap and for a woman. If that didn't show I was fucking whipped, I didn't know what else would.

The lights snapped on. Huge fluorescents right above my head, blinding me for a few seconds until I adjusted my sight on resting my sight on a figure behind rusted bars.

"How many years has it been?" My voice grated out, low and quiet. "Four? Five?"

He stepped closer to the bars, in a line of light that highlighted his rugged features. To anyone else he'd look like a normal business man. To me he was a monster, hidden beneath wrinkled skin and black hair.

"It's a shame you're here again." His accented words echoed into the room. "Do you know why you're here, Cristiano?"

"Cristian."

"As embarrassed as I am of you, I'll call my son what I named him."

My stare grew bitter. This was how he messed with my head as a kid, clinging to the word son while telling me how much he hated me.

"Like I was saying." He tucked his arms behind him. "A woman. You're here because of a woman."

"Fuck. Off."

A grimace deepened on his face. He walked over to the metal door opposite me, and entered the metal box for a cell.

"It's unfortunate." He said as he shut the door behind. My eyes followed as he picked up a metal pole from the corner of the room. "I spent my life ripping your heart out, training you to be the killing machine you are now, and this is how you repay me?"

"Get your head out your ass, old man. You didn't train me."

"Deny it all you want, but I'm the reason you've come so far. I made you strong. I taught you how to stop feeling when you were eleven and cried over your first kill." He stopped in front of me. "Big mistake throwing my hard work away for Elena, and Guiseppe's Elena."

A chuckle would have left my lips from his stupid words, but once I heard her name coming out his mouth, I was grave. The urge to break free overcame me and I tugged on the chains, grunting at strength of them.

"Military grade chains." He added. "I know my son. As useless as he is, he needs chains strong enough to hold a titan. I won't let you escape this time." Something psychotic flared in his eyes as he paused. "In fact, I'll reunite you with your woman before I cut her heart out. Maybe it should toughen yours."

Fire rose beneath my bare skin and I used all my strength to break free from the chains, but my body quickly fell limp. The sedatives weren't out of my system yet.