Chapter 42

~Cristian POV~

I woke up to an empty bed and the sound of a hurricane downstairs. Everything was foreign this morning. The air warmer, the world a little more still. I knew why it was the second my eyes flickered open and I didn't go straight to thinking how I'd flee the country, or how long until he would get me.

My bastard father was dead. The exhausting cycle of being on the run was over, and I could live in Goddamn peace now.

A bang came from downstairs. Almost at peace.

Pulling away the covers, I got out of bed to check what Elena was doing downstairs before my phone buzzed. I picked it off the side table and made my way out the room.

"Five missed calls Adam."

"So sorry about that, my phone's been broken for days. Kids."

"My times's running short, I need a jet ready in two days." I paused halfway down the stairs once I set my eyes on Elena. "Have it decorated with roses."

"Roses...even I'm swooning. Must be a special lady if she pinned you down of all people, or is it the opposite?"

She didn't sign the marriage contract without my persuasion, yeah it was the opposite.

After I finished telling Adam what time we'd be leaving for New Zealand, I shut the phone and headed down the rest of the steps.

Elena was too busy rushing around the kitchen to notice me, and it gave me time to watch her. She was raw and unkempt. Her hair was tossed up into a bun, and she still wore my shirt unbuttoned, loosely hanging from her shoulders with nothing beneath.

Fuck. Heat rose to my face and I slid my palm along my jaw to stifle the feeling. I'd been thinking...I wanted to do something for her, like buy her pearls or an island off the coast of Italy, but I had a feeling she wasn't easily impressed by money.

I needed time to think over it.

I drew nearer to her as she stirred a pot, and when my arms wrapped around her waist her body leaned against my frame.

"What are you doing?" I asked, eyeing the pot of liquid.

"Welcome to every day of your life. Be prepared, you're about to taste the best iron-rich lentil soup."

I buried my face in the crook of her neck. "Only you would take a doctor seriously."

"And only you wouldn't."

She turned, ripping me away from her and moved a spoon to my lips. The soup was better than I expected, more considering she fed me it.

As she pulled the spoon away, a sinister thought occurred that I'd drink even poison if she'd fed me it with her own hands. Down bad Russo.

"Oh, Diego's engagement is tomorrow." She slid out from my arms and pulled out a bowl. "Our flight is still in a couple days right? I can just pop over and..."

"Alone?" I shook my head. "No, I'm coming with you."

A frown formed on her face.