Chapter 6

"You must be Elena." He spoke, and seeing my Papa approaching I slapped a smile on my face. Thankfully my father realised I was talking to someone and backed off, but why?

He never let me talk to men.

"Yes, and you are?"

"Xavier." He was middle aged, and wore so much gel on his hair I could smell it from here. I had no idea who this man was, but with the way Papà was staring at me from the distance, telling me to behave I knew it was someone important.

"Nice to meet you, I'm sorry about bumping into you, I can be a klutz sometimes...."

Before I could even finish my sentence he took my hand. Pressed a kiss to it, and pulled it away leaving shiny remnants of his dog slobber.

I was starting to feel todays peanut butter sandwich rise.

I gulped loudly, the air touching the pool of saliva on my skin in a way that had me hiding a grimace. Suddenly I couldn't wait to go wash my hands.

"No worries." He replied. "Nice home, don't you think." Xavier asked, and placed his flute of champagne on the tray of a passing waiter. Xavier looked me up and down, his eyes lingering on my breasts longer than they should have.

"Wow you've grown. I remember you were this tall when I last saw you." He lowered his hand to around his knees, and then awkwardly chuckled. "I must say, you aren't married yet are you?"

My lips parted to speak, but I paused when something touched my face from a distance. Judging from the way my cheek immediately warmed I knew exactly it who it came from.

"No." I replied. Cristian's stare was apathetic. Empty, like he was only looking at me because he had no other option.

Xavier ran a tongue over his non-existent lips, looked down at the bust of my dress and then had the audacity to keep his eyes there.

Bastard. If any of my brothers saw him he was dead in seconds, and we were in the middle of a busy foyer.

"Sir?" I asked, trying to get him to stop staring. Dad was right, I really shouldn't have worn this dress.

When Xavier leaned in, I pulled back immediately. "Say, do you want to catch a drink in the main room?" His breath reeked of weed. "Or do you prefer more discreet options?"

Options? What the-

Did this idiot know what the consequences of that would be? Would he want to end up in a dark alleyway over a pool of blood.

When one of my brothers looked my way a breath choked in my lungs. Maybe I could try to stop the murder I saw coming, so I said goodbye and quickly headed to the bathroom.

Where was the bathroom again? I didn't care, as long as I was out of there. I caught my breath as I strolled through a few grand hallways.

I hated being in the eye of that many people. My family had great expectations of me and being around them - especially my father was extremely exhausting.

"Sit like this."

"Don't swear."

"Never talk back to a man."