Chapter 17: Calypso

CALYPSO

Calypso glanced back at the young demigod, who was straggling behind. Calypso was still trying to determine the young girl's godly parent, but it was proving to be difficult. She had no defining characteristics of any god she knew, and the girl, Sami, had refused to say anything since her name.

As Leo lead back to where they had stashed Festus, he glanced back at Calypso and Sami. Calypso gave a smile, and Leo mouthed at her, 'I can't wait to see her expression' Calypso smiled wider, she too imagining the young girl's face wen Festus emerged in glory.

Sami gave a loud cough behind them, and said "I'm not blind you know. My expression when WHAT exactly?"

Leo grinned, and pulled out Festus the suitcase. "This, is Festus"

Sami looked confused, and said "A marvelous suitcase I'm sure. Is there anything else I need to know about this fine piece of luggage?"

Leo's grin stretched even wider. "Hmm... Let me think... oh yeah! How about this!" He pulled a lever on the suitcase, then stepped back quickly to avoid getting crushed by the rapidly unfolding celestial bronze.

As Festus emerged, Calypso turned to look at Sami's expression. Her jaw was practically on the ground, and her eyes were bugging out of her head. Calypso stole a glance at Leo, who was grinning so widely it looked like his face would split in half.

Leo announced, "Sami, meet Festus, our dragon." Calypso smiled when Leo said our.

Sami picked her jaw up off the floor, and asked tentatively, "Can I touch him?" Leo nodded and gestured for her to go ahead. Sami stepped softly forward, and placed a trembling hand on Festus's snout. Festus gave a puff of smoke and whirred in a friendly way. "He likes you!" Leo said, and Sami smiled. "He's amazing." She breathed.

Calypso glanced at the sky, and noticed the sun was nearing the horizon. She placed a hand on Sami's shoulder, noticing how she flinched and jumped a bit. "Leo, I think we should camp here for the night. Why don't you figure out a shelter for the night and I'll cook. Sami, can you find some wood for a fire?" Calypso was reluctant to send the young demigod out on her own, so she resolved to keep and eye on her. There was something about her... Calypso shook her head to clear the thought.

Watching Sami scamper around the clearing collecting wood, Calypso climbed on Festus to find her bags. She had packed food in one of them, because she had no idea what awaited her and Leo when they left the island. Now, she was thankful she had. She found the bag with her food, and Calypso clambered off Festus.

As Calypso started to unpack her supplies, she glanced up to check on Sami again and saw her coming back with wood. Calypso jumped up to help her, Sami's arms were loaded with twigs and branches. Calypso noticed that she was limping a bit. When they dumped the wood into a pile, she turned to Sami and asked, "Is your leg bothering you" Sami shook her head stubbornly, and Calypso smiled slightly. "OK, so you just naturally walk away from a hellhound with no injuries ."

Sami grinned shyly, and started to laugh. She rolled up her pants leg, wincing as she did so. Calypso gasped as she saw the wound on her leg. The cut was deep, and it had a greenish tint around the edges. "Sami! Why didn't you tell us about this earlier?!" Sami avoided her gaze, "Didn't want to seem weak. Always have to be tough on the streets and to strangers."

"Oh Sami," Calypso started. "It's ok, you don't have to act tough. It's just me and Leo here, and we certainly won't judge. Not everyone can survive being chased by a hellhound across several states! Leo and I barely survived a cyclopes attack!"

Sami bit her lip, and her eyes started to water. Calypso grabbed her and pulled her into a hug. Sami stiffened up at first, like she hadn't had a hug in a while, and then hugged Calypso back. Calypso felt tears fall onto her shoulder, and Sami's body started to shake violently. Calypso felt her own eyes tear up, she hadn't become this close to another girl since... since before she had been exiled to Ogygia. This little girl seemed to have been through a lot, and if she needed someone to confide in, a family member, Calypso desperately wanted to help. She was sure Leo would also step up to the job also. Even though he hadn't told her much of his past, she could tell he had been through a lot also, not just on his quests.