Chapter 29: Piper

PIPER

Piper couldn't take it. This was an all time low.

Leo freaking Valdez. The most infuriating boy who ever existed. He was.... Who was he really?

He was the repair boy. He was bad boy supreme. He was commander tool belt. He was chef Leo the tofu taco expert. He was the best friend she ever had. He was basically her brother.

He was dead.

That was all Piper was sure of, and that's all that mattered. Leo Valdez was dead. And it was her fault.

The others tried to convince her otherwise, but she knew it. It was her fault. The first time had been bad enough. At least then she had hope. He had the Physician's cure, maybe he had pulled off a miracle. He was, after all, Leo Valdez. 

And he had. He had done the impossible and cheated death and then a curse of the gods. He freed Calypso, and he was going to come back.

And now he never would.

Piper couldn't think straight. She stumbled over rubble, catching herself at the last minute. She shook tears out of her eyes, and tried to focus. She could feel the eyes of her friends on her, and she knew they were all worried. She was the only one who sill hadn't recovered. Even Jason and Hazel were scanning the horizon for some sign of Sami, and here Piper was, still crying and broken.

Piper wiped her face with the back of her hand. Is this what Leo would have wanted? No. He was the strongest person she ever knew. He carried so much pain, and he still pulled it together and got the job done.

Piper had to do the same.

She tested out a smile. She thought of all the amazing memories she had with Leo, and her smile grew. He was gone, but he was still with her.

So she could be strong for Leo.

Piper looked around, and saw everyone staring at her.

"What?" She demanded, knowing full well why she was getting so much attention.

"Are you all right Piper?" Annabeth asked, a bit hesitantly, as if afraid of Piper's answer.

"Of course I'm not. Now where do you think Sami could have gone? Percy, what exactly did she say to you?" Piper replied, grinning again. Funny how easy it was to put on a mask to hide from the pain.

"She said there was something strange about the explosion. Then she just vanished." Percy replied, looking at Piper the way someone would look at a crazy person. "Are you sure you're alright?"

"No. Not at all. But I'm smiling aren't I? This is what Leo did. So can I. Let's go!" Piper snapped, getting impatient.

She spun on her heel, ignoring everyone else. She picked a direction, and started walking, not caring if anyone followed her. She took a deep breath, and slowly exhaled. She could do this.

After a couple minutes, the sound of shifting rubble caused her to spin around. She saw Jason hurrying towards her, and she allowed herself a real smile.

"Piper, seriously. Are you ok?" He asked, concern obvious in his blue eyes. She sighed, and allowed her mask to drop.

"I'm fine Jason. I'll mourn later. But now we have to find Sami." She said heavily.

"I know, and we will find her. Frank turned into a dog and is trying to track her scent. It's hilarious actually. Hazel keeps distracting him by hugging him and scratching his ears, and Frank goes into cuddly puppy mode. You want to come help?" He asked, smiling slightly.