excuses

Saige hit the bludger with an almighty thwack, sending it barreling towards the unsuspecting Slytherin seeker, no doubt breaking his arm in the process. His outstretched arm was torn away from his reach towards the snitch, allowing the Ravenclaw seeker to enclose his hand around the golden ball. The crowd roared in a sea of blue and bronze. 

As Saige set down on the ground, she felt herself being lifted off the ground and into a strong set of arms. She laughed as Alex spun her around, wrapping her arms around him in an attempt to hold on. 

"That was amazing!" he exclaimed, a look of pure joy spreading across his features. The team gathered in celebration, the surrounding crowd taking slight awe in Saige's expression. She looked happy, almost proud. 

"You are a bloody legend, Stirling!" Captain Jordan Stone said giddily, wrapping the girl in a slight headlock in his excitement. 

"Let me go, you tosser,"  Saige wrestled from his hold, still adorning her proud smile. She couldn't hide her own excitement. The first game of the season was undoubtedly an important one, setting the scene for the rest of the year. It was the teams chance to establish themselves, and to defeat Slytherin's powerhouse was nothing short of an accomplishment. 

"Okay," the team gathered around Stone, awaiting his usual post game speech. "Really excellent job guys. Stirling, I have no idea how you did that but it was bloody incredible," the group let out a series of whoops in the girls honour. "Hit the showers and get ready to train next week," Jordan ended his speech with a clap of his hands and the team dispersed to their respective change rooms. 

Saige stepped under the scalding hot water and let it run through her hair and down her face. She stood under the water long enough to be left alone in the room, the other girls on the team long since gone. Saige sighed and reluctantly turned off the water. Wrapping a towel around herself, she stepped into the desolate changing room, catching sight of herself in the mirror. Unable to stop herself, she found herself drawing closer to the mirror, entranced in her own reflection. She looked at her small frame. People would call her slim, but she knew that was just a nice way of saying scrawny. Her hair hung in water soaked tendrils, practically begging to be run through a hairbrush. The small scar on her cheekbone had yet to disappear, and she had come to the conclusion that this would be one she would adorn forever, despite its unfortunate placement. She couldn't tear her gaze away from her reflection, from her scars and her tired face. Her thoughts ran wild and she felt her emotions start to rise from their compressed state. Red hot tears burned behind her eyes as she stared at herself, watching her own breath grow faster and faster. I hate myself. My parents hate me. I have no one. The glass suddenly shattered, as if it was begging to be released of her intense gaze. Saige gasped in shock and stepped back.  She frantically dressed and hauled her bag onto her shoulder, not wanting to spend another minute in the room. Leaving the mirror in pieces on the floor, she walked with a calm intention towards the Ravenclaw tower. 

"Ready for the celebration party?" Alex draped an arm over his best friend, making her jump in surprise. 

"A party?" Saige questioned. "It was just one game, not exactly a huge victory."

"Oh come on," Alex poked her in the ribs. "Any excuse to party, right?"

"I suppose thats true."

"Besides, I think you need to loosen up a bit," Saige gave Alex a questioning look at his statement. "You've been so busy lately, and with everything going on..."

Alex knew that Saige did not have a pleasant home life. While he did not know the extent of the abuse, he was not blind to the small scars and bruises that appeared upon her return from holidays at home. He was her best friend, of course he knew, she didn't need to tell him. And that's why they were best friends. 

-

The Weird Sisters blared through the Ravenclaw common room. For a bunch of nerds, the eagles sure new how to party. 

"Not in the partying mood?" the couch dipped as Teddy settled himself beside Saige.

"Oh, I can assure you that I am incredibly drunk right now," Saige gestured to her cup full of Firewhiskey. "Aren't you?" 

"Can't say that I'm sober," Teddy admitted. Saige laughed at the boy, before he stood up and offered her his hand. 

"Let's go somewhere quieter." 

Gratefully accepting the offer, Saige grabbed his hand and hauled herself to her feet. After taking a small stumble, she followed Teddy's lead out of the common room. 

"Where are we going?" Saige giggled as the boy's pace quickened, pulling her along. 

"You'll see."

The two reached a small, hidden alcove in a deserted corridor. The space was rounded in a half circle, arched windows looking out to the Black Lake, glittering in the moonlight. 

"It's beautiful," Saige said quietly. "How have I never been here before?" 

"This hall has been abandoned for a while," Teddy explained as he settled by Saige on the stone floor. "Peeves has a habit for hanging around, it was easier just to leave him be."

Saige nodded in response, distantly looking out the window. 

"Are you okay?" Teddy asked, not liking her silence. Silence meant that she was slipping back into her old self. Saige turned her head to look at him, bringing their faces inched apart. She dimly looked into his eyes and let out a sigh. 

"I broke a mirror today," she said plainly. 

"You...broke a mirror?" Teddy repeated. 

"I broke a mirror."

"Why?"

"I didn't mean to!" Saige let out a laugh, dissipating the serious tone that had settled over the two. Teddy reached out and settled his hand on her jaw, thumb brushing over the scar on her cheekbone. 

"Is it because of this?" he asked, alluding to the scar left by her parents. 

"Yes," she replied. 

"Well, I still think you're beautiful," Teddy whispered.

"Tosser," Saige laughed. 

Her voice was addicting to Teddy, her laughter drawing him in even more. Before he knew it, Teddy closed the small distance between them and brought his lips to Saige's, the two sharing a gentle kiss. Saige, for some odd reason, wasn't taken by surprise. She lightly returned the kiss, unable to stop herself. The pair separated, Teddy still keeping his gentle hold on her face, their faces not drawing far apart. 

"Go to Hogsmeade with me," Teddy said breathily. 

"Teddy..." Saige replied softly.

"I like you, Saige," he stated. 

"I..." Saige struggled with her words. Teddy drew away from her slightly. "I know, I like you too, Lupin."

"Why won't you say yes then?" Teddy chuckled in slight confusion. 

"You might get sick of me," she whispered hesitantly. 

"Saige," Teddy sighed. "It's you, it's always been you, even if I didn't realise it until now." 

"Teddy, you deserve someone better than me," she retorted. "Someone... happy, someone whole."

"Why don't you get it," Teddy said in slight frustration. "You're not a bad person Saige. You're smart, and beautiful, and I know that you care for people, even though you don't want anyone to know that."

"Okay," Saige said after a momentary silence. Teddy simply laughed and pulled the girl in for another kiss. He felt her smile into the kiss as his hands settled on her waist, hers wrapping around his neck. Pulling away breathlessly, Teddy spoke. 

"Promise?" he asked. 

"Promise."