understanding

Music rang through the Gryffindor common room as the rowdy bunch celebrated their victory against Slytherin. While their win had sent Jordan Stone into a spiral of future tactics and mumblings of different plays, the Ravenclaw team had joined the party. Any excuse to get drunk off firewhiskey was taken amongst the stressed sixth and seventh years.

Tonight was different for Saige, as it was the first party she attended with an unofficial boyfriend. The news of the twos relationship had continued to spread through the castle. She didn't even know how to dress for goodness sake. Were short skirts and small tops acceptable now that she was in an almost relationship? Befuddled by the thought, Saige dismissed it, opting for a low cut green dress.

Saige stood amongst a large group of beaters from each team, all radically discussing the best swing techniques. Despite her perceived coldness, the girl could be friendly when she wanted too.

"I like that dress on you, Stirling," Matthew Acker, a Slytherin beater, said. "My favourite colour too."

"Hm, I suppose I should have worn red then," Saige smirked. "You know, since you lost."

"Low blow," Matthew whistled through his teeth. The two became immersed in mindless chatter, discussing anything from mermaids to McGonogall's favourite hat. Saige had yet to spot Teddy in the crowd, so the pair settled down on a soft couch, still immersed in their conversation.

Room beginning to spin, Saige conjured three small birds to float around the tip of her wand, Matthew watching her magic.

"They're really good," he said, Saige not noticing the arm he had snaked over the couch, coming far too close to resting on her shoulders. The others that surrounded them did not seem to notice the two.

"Hey," a voice sounded behind them.

"You're here," Saige smiled as she turned to greet Teddy, a sweet smile on her face.

"Come on," Teddy grabbed the girls hand as she slightly wobbled on her feet upon standing up. He led her to a quieter spot in the room. Saige leaned against the wall and looked up at him, giggling as his hair began to tinge pink under her gaze.

"What?" he asked.

"Nothing!" Saige laughed at him. "I wasn't sure if you were going to come."

"Well, you said you were going," Teddy said softly. "So of course I'm here."

"Isn't that sweet," Saige grinned at him.

"Shut up," he laughed, holding both her hands in his.

"Saige!" a voice yelled over the music. Saige turned to see Victorie and Alex dancing amongst the crowd.

"I'll see you in a bit," she told Teddy as she drunkedly made her way to her friends.

Brain foggy, the girl didn't even register Matthew Acker slipping his arm around her waist and dancing with her. In a matter of what seemed like seconds, the boy had spun her around to press her against his body. He pressed a rushed kiss to her lips. Suddenly feeling very much sober, Saige pushed him away roughly, catching the attention of some around them.

"What the hell was that?" she said angrily at the boy.

"Come on Stirling," he smirked. "You never used to mind when I did that."

"Well now I do, dickhead," Saige pushed past him and was instantly met with Teddy's blank expression. He let out a sigh and quickly left the common room.

"Teddy," Saige called after him as she followed him out of the room and down the hall. Breaking into a small jog to catch up with him, Saige caught his elbow, forcing him to turn and face her.

"Teddy," Saige sighed, seeing the sad look in his eyes. "You saw that! I didn't want him to..."

"To kiss you?" Teddy finished the sentence for her. "I know, it's just..." he trailed off, breaking eye contact.

"What is it?" she pressed.

"You wear these, these beautiful dresses, you dance like that and every guy in this school wants you," he ran a hand through his hair. "I just...you could have anyone you want."

"Teddy," Saige took hold of his hand. "You know that I don't want to be with anyone else. Bloody hell, the fact that you even managed to make me feel something for you says enough."

Teddy only nodded in response, not meeting her gaze, though Saige could see that there was still something on his mind. Fearing a teacher may find them out past curfew, Saige led the boy to the Ravenclaw common room. Sober or not, the girl still had some common sense about her.

The room was desolate, everyone either at the party or long since fallen asleep. Saige sat the boy down on the plush couch and watched him curiously.

"What's got you in such a tiff, Lupin?" she asked gently.

"Please don't call me that," he whispered in response.

"Sorry."

"No, no it's just stupid, I..." Teddy trailed off. Saige waited expectantly, she was not one to prod.

"My parents... they died in the war, I'm sure you know anyways. My father was a werewolf, everyone tells me he was brave and selfless despite his condition. But I never knew him, or my mother." Saige watched as he chose his words.

"I just, I've never really had anyone. I mean, yeah there's my gran, but she can't look at me without seeming sad. She's really bad at hiding it," he let out a soft laugh. "And then there's Harry, but I've always felt like an intruder in their family, like I don't really belong."

Teddy turned to finally meet Saige's eyes as she watched him intently, examining his body language.

"I've never had anyone, and I'm afraid that..." he trailed off.

"It's okay to be afraid," Saige spoke.

"I'm afraid that if I have you, if I like you, and you don't like me equally as much..."

"Then I'll be left alone all over again, except now I know how it feels to have someone. And it will hurt even more."

Teddy finished his speech and waited for Saige to respond. He watched as she sat, her teeth clenching and her eyes deciphering, analysing every move he made. He felt as if they were looking into his very being, reading his mind and piercing his soul. And yet she still remained stoic and unreadable. Until finally, she spoke.

"I never told anyone about my parents, at least not for a while. In my third year I was admitted to the hospital and the ministry became involved," she began.

"My father had thrown a glass or something, I can't remember. I had to have my hand and forearm healed," she explained, extending her arm to reveal a long, thin scar running from her palm to her forearm.

"I told the ministry what happened, and they told McGonogall. I never told them why he did it, I never told anyone, except you."

Saige turned to face Teddy and he gently linked their fingers together.

"So I suppose what I'm trying to say," she stated. "Is that we both don't have anyone, but now we have each other. If you'll have me."

"Oh don't be stupid," Teddy smiled at the girl. "Of course I'll have you."

Teddy gently grabbed her waist and pulled her forward, pressing a sweet kiss to her lips. Her hands found their way around his neck as they shared the moment together. The kiss felt different to the others. This one felt as if it held something behind it, a new understanding of one another, a new bond between the two.

Pulling away from the kiss, Teddy pulled Saige's body even closer towards his. 

"Just to be clear, you are my girlfriend," He breathed. 

"And I suppose that makes you my boyfriend."