teasing

Saige whipped her head around at the sound of his voice. 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," Teddy rushed out at the girl looking at him like a deer in headlights.

"It's ok," she breathed out. "You just startled me, that's all."

"You can sleep in here tonight if you want," he gestured to the bed. "Ginny's made up the spare room too if you would rather that..."

"Sure," Saige smiled softly at the boy, his hair flushing pink at the tips. The pair settled down next to each other, sinking in the plaid sheets. Teddy threw his arm around her, nestling her in the crook of his arm. She reluctantly sank into his embrace, feeling the guilt lightly gnawing at her. The letter seemed to be screaming at her, she wouldn't be surprised if it ripped itself open like a howler and loudly blurted her secret for the whole Potter house to hear. 

"I love you," Teddy said sleepily, nuzzling further into the bed.

"I love you too," Saige whispered back. She kept her eyes trained on the wall, trying to push away her thoughts. Did she really love him? Like, really love him? It was too late to go back now, words can't be taken back once they've been spoken. Sure, she could tell him that she didn't love him, that her feelings were most likely a carefully fabricated trick stemming from her abusive childhood. She would do anything to feel loved, even if that meant she had to lie. But the thought of watching his heart shatter, watching him be told that all their words of affirmation exchanged had all been a ruse, was not worth it. Saige knew she had deep feelings for him, she would, could, never do that to such a sweet soul. And what if she did love him? What if she broke his heart only to realise that her actions were of self sabotage? She was a smart girl, she knew she had to sort and sift through her feelings and thoughts. However, merely thinking of it made her feel sick. It would mean she had to relive all the most horrific moments she had experienced in her short time of living. But what if it was worth it? What if she could finally find happiness, what if she could finally accept the love she so desperately needed?

                        ***

Saige woke with a start at her unfamiliar surroundings. This wasn't her bed, this wasn't her room. She calmed down slightly as she began to wake up properly, the memories of the previous night assuring her. Teddy was no longer sound asleep next to her, leaving her alone in the cold room. Despite the almost frigid temperature, Saige felt warm in his bed. She felt safe. No one could get her here. 

As if the world was playing a cruel trick on her, the door suddenly opened, ripping her out of her meditative state. She looked to the door as she watched Teddy leisurely walk in, plopping himself on the bed next to her. Tucking a wild strand of hair behind her ear, he gave her a sweet kiss. 

"Sleep alright?" he asked. 

"Mhmm," she grumbled out, stretching her arms above her head. Teddy laughed softly at her, she looked like a cat waking up from a long nap in the sun.

"Good, Merry Christmas Saige," he handed her a small wrapped gift. She gingerly took it from him and pulled open the wrapping paper. Inside she found a box. It was small and delicate, and in it laid a necklace. The chain was thin and held a blue pendent. Saige took it out of its box and held it up, gazing at it in awe. The jewel shifted colours in the light, filled with green and gold specks. 

"It's an opal," Teddy broke the silence. "Nan says it's supposed to represent hope, probably bullshit but I thought you'd like it."

"It's beautiful," Saige gave him a soft smile. Teddy couldn't help but notice the distant sad look in her eyes.

"Do you not like it?" he rushed out. "Sorry, I, I can take it back if you want, it was stupid anyway."

"No, I love it," she replied. "It's just, no one's ever given me such a nice gift. I don't really know how to react."

"Really?" Teddy laughed lovingly at his girlfriend. "Don't worry about it babe, you don't have to react at all if you don't want to."

"Gross, don't call me that," she grumbled jokingly.

"Call you what huh?" he teased. "Babe?"

Saige hit him with a pillow as they laughed together. It was moments like these that she really thought she did love him. He made her smile, made her laugh. He made her happy. 

"C'mon, let's go downstairs," Teddy hauled her out of bed. "As much as I would love to stay in here with you forever, Ginny's getting antsy to meet you."

A/N: Just a filler to tide you over :)