solace

After a rather rambunctious ride on the Knight Bus, Saige found herself on the Nott Manor doorstep. Trying her best not to freeze to death, she gently tapped the brass knocker on the heavy oak door. A squeaky elf peered at her suspiciously, before he rushed her inside, muttering angrily about dragging snow through the house.

"Miss Stirling," a deep voice sounded from the dark entrance. "What are you doing here so late?"

Saige cast her eyes towards the man. She had always been intimidated by Theodore Nott, however he seemed to be gentle at heart. Despite his strict parenting and harsh rules, Saige always knew that she could find refuge in his home.

" I'm so sorry to intrude, Mr Nott," she mustered up her confidence. "I um... I didn't know where else to go."

A moment of silence passed, the older man looking at her with what seemed like pity in his eyes.

"Very well," he finally decided. "Alexander is in his room, I trust you remember the way."

"Thank you, yes sir," she replied respectfully. He nodded his head and retreated back into the darkness as Saige turned to ascend the marble staircase. She softly padded across the cold tiles until she reached her best friends room, located in the far most wing of the house.

"Alex?" she whispered into the darkness.

"Saige?" he grumbled sleepily. "What are you doing here? I thought you were staying at school."

Saige entered the room, high ceilings adorned with windows that held vast views of the grounds. However, all that could be seen was fluffy, white snow falling heavily outside. Alex looked up from his bed, rolling over to switch on a small light on a side table. Despite the large space, his room was warm, an enchanted flame crackling in the fireplace.

"Well I was," she said, shutting the door behind her and placing herself heavily on the end of the bed. "I ran into Harry Potter, said he was there on ministry business, I still reckon he was just there to collect me."

"You're not making any sense, what do you mean collect you?" Alex said, barely risen from his slumber yet.

"I'm getting there," she huffed. "He said he was at Hogwarts to see the headmistress, then insisted that I go spend Christmas with Lupin and his family."

"Ok... so why are you here then?" he asked, still confused in a sleepy haze.

"I...well," she spluttered, pulling at a loose thread in the blanket she began clutching. "Everything was fine, he wanted to go to a party, but then he got super drunk and tried to fight Lang for talking to me. I took him home and then he yelled at me and told me to get out."

"Wait," Alex sat up, suddenly awake. "Why would he do that? That boys always been such a Hufflepuff, especially with you!"

"He found the letter, you know, the one my mother wrote to me," she sighed.

"I thought I told you to burn that thing," Alex exhaled, watching her intently. "And why was he mad that Lang spoke to you?"

"I was going to, but I just couldn't. It was the last thing I had from of my parents," she said. "Lang was also pretty wasted and he put his arm around my shoulder. Mind you, Teddy ditched me as soon as he saw his mates..."

"I know, I know," Alex sympathised, moving forward to hold her hands in an attempt to comfort her. "Serves him right that you're upset with him, what kind of bloke drags his girlfriend to a party and just ditches her instantly?"

"Lupin, apparently."

"So he kicked you out, just like that?"

"Yeah, he did," Saige replied, eyes starting to gloss over with tears. She refused to blink, she really didn't want to cry. Alex knew though, he always knew when she was hurt. All he wanted to do as her best friend was to make her feel like she could be vulnerable to others. It was something he knew she struggled with. He had seen the scars and bruises that made her this way. He would do anything to take her pain away.

"Oh Saige," Alex said, pulling her into his arms and tucking her head underneath his chin. "He had no right to go through your things or make you feel like you had to leave. I swear I'll wring his neck when I see the git."

Saige laughed at his protective tone, he was always able to make her laugh in serious situations. She rested in his arms, quietly sniffing as she tried not to cry.

"Why am I so unlovable?" Alex's heart broke as she choked out the words, feeling his shirt growing warm from her hot tears.

"You my friend, are the most loveable person I know," he said sternly. "I love you more than anything, and one day there will be someone who values you the way I do."

His words struck deep in Saige. She knew that they both loved each other, even if it wasn't romantically. They just never really had to say it, they both knew. Not many people are lucky enough to find so much unconditional love in a best friend. Maybe they shared a trauma bond, or maybe they just found each other at the right time.

"Thank you" she breathed. "I won't bother you for too long, I'll go in the morning."

"Oh that's funny," he said sarcastically. "And where are you gonna go? Last I checked you were homeless missy."

"Shut up," Saige let out a light laugh, a small smile turning on her lips.

"Alright," Alex hopped up and moved to open an ornate dresser, throwing a pair of joggers and a giant hoodie at her. "Put these on and we can watch a muggle movie."

"How are we supposed to do that?" she questioned, knowing that wizards didn't generally have a knack for technology.

"Portable DVD player," he explained. "Aunt gave it to me for Christmas, don't tell dad though."

" Wouldn't dare."

The two eventually fell asleep in Alex's bed, movie credits playing softly into the silent room. While Saige felt so helpless once again in her life, she knew what she needed to do, what she had always done. She let herself slip with Teddy, a moment of weakness. But she would be sure to not let it happen again. If people wanted to call her the Ice Queen with no emotions, then that's exactly what they would get.