abandon

The crowd roared as Saige hit the bludger straight into the Slytherin keeper, sending him tumbling to the ground. She usually wouldn't stoop to such unsportsmanlike behaviour, but she had enough of the snake's dirty gameplay. Watching Kindle zip through the air, she could only hope that the game would be over soon. Her hair had escaped its ponytail long ago, blonde hair whipping around her face. 

Without warning, a burly seventh year came hurtling into her side, nearly knocking her off her broom.

"Really?" she yelled, regaining composure. The crowd screamed at the chaser, a sea of rioting blue and bronze. If Kindle didn't catch that stupid snitch soon, she would do it herself. Sitting back on her broom, Saige flipped her bat between each hand. 

"How much longer do you think this bloody game will last?" Alex appeared beside her. "I've put my shoulder out, I can't keep playing for much longer."

"Use your other arm," Saige responded simply, like it was easy. Rolling his eyes, Alex steered off in the other direction, ready to fend off the approaching bludger. Seeing as her seeker was about to be hit himself, Saige zipped off in his direction. Finally reaching the bludger, Saige felt her own shoulder pop at the impact. 

"Bloody hell," she muttered. 

All of a sudden, as if her wishes were coming true, the whistle blew signalling the end of the game. Oliver Kindle sat proudly atop his broom, the gleaming snitch resting in his hand. The stands almost shook from the commotion. Finally touching the ground, the Ravenclaw team was almost immediately surrounded by fellow students. Saige let out at gasp as a mop of blue hair suddenly appeared, wrapping her in his arms and spinning her around. The surrounding crowd looked at the couple in awe of hearing her laugh. 

"You did it!" Teddy exclaimed, keeping his hold on her waist. 

"Of course I did," she beamed up at the boy. Just her smile alone could make the boy melt. "Are you coming to the celebratory party?"

Before he could answer his girlfriend, a sharp voice barked through the crowd. 

"Saige Grace Stirling!"

Saige stopped in her tracks, smile dropping immediately.  Practically jumping away from Teddy, she whipped her head around at the voice. Teddy watched on, confused, until she spoke.

"Mum?" 

                                                                                                ***

"I don't know what you want me to say!"

"Tell me who that boy is, Saige."

The mother and daughter had hurriedly left the quidditch pitch, eyes watching the pair nosily. Finding an abandoned corridor, the two began a rather one sided screaming match. 

"His name is Teddy, he's my friend okay? What am I not allowed to have friends now?" Saige let out, already exhausted. "Why are you even here?"

"Oh please I'm not stupid, I saw the way he looked at you. The way he held you!" Grace said angrily. "I am here to take you home. Christmas break is soon and I don't want you near that boy. Goodness your father would have been beside himself if he witnessed that!"

"What?" Saige let out, concern lacing her voice. "But I have school, prefect duties, quidditch, I can't leave now."

"You can deal with your father when we get home," her mother responded finitely. Grabbing her daughters arm, she pulled harshly.

"No, no please don't tell dad, mum," she plead, pulling back on her arm. "You know what he'll do to me. The break is only two weeks, people will notice. Please mum do not tell him. I'll go home with you now, I'll never speak to Teddy again, please."

"Your relationship with your father is not my responsibility, don't you dare put that on me."

"How can you say that?" Saige cried, her loud voice echoing in the corridor. "You're my mother, you're supposed to protect me! How can you say that!" 

"That's enough," Grace said, taking her arm once again and pulling her harshly. 

"No!" Saige pulled back once again. "You can't make me go, you can't!"

Her mother fixed her with a stern look. Saige could suddenly see why everyone called her the ice queen. She looked just like her mother. 

"Fine," she stated. "You're right, I can't make you go. So don't. Don't bother coming back. You are no longer welcome in my home." With that, she turned on her heel and briskly walked away. 

                                                                                            ***

Hot tears streamed down Saige's face as she sat in an abandoned alcove. The cold floor seeped through to her legs, despite the warm joggers she had changed into. Hugging her knees to her chest, she looked out into the night sky, silently pointing out each constellation in a poor attempt to distract herself. 

"Saige!" a voice made her jump out of her trance. Unsurprisingly, Teddy hurried towards her, kneeling in front of her small form. He reached out to place his hands on her shoulders. "What happened? I've been looking everywhere for you. Was that your mother?"

"Teddy please," she breathed out. 

"I'm sorry, Helga I'm sorry," he sat next to her, bringing her into his side. "What happened, why are you crying?"

"I think I've just been disowned," she stated quietly, gaze fixed on the stone in front of her. 

"Why?"

"My mother, if I can even call her that anymore," Saige sniffed. "She came to the game, said she was taking me home early. She saw me with you, Teddy she was so mad. She said she was going to take me home to deal with my father and, and that she's not responsible for what he does and-" she rambled before bursting into tears.

"Oh sweetheart," Teddy said softly, bringing her even closer in his embrace and kissing the top of her head. "I'm so sorry, this is all my fault. If I had known she was there I never would have come up to you."

"It's not your fault Teddy," she whispered. "I don't know what I'm gonna do now."

"We'll work it out," he told her. "You and me, yeah? We'll figure something out. You can stay with me over the break, or we can stay here for Christmas. It's your choice."

Suddenly, all her worries about their relationship were gone. As she sat, falling apart in his arms, Saige felt safe. She believed him, that everything would be okay. She shifted to look up at him, taking in his beautiful features for the hundredth time. His jawline, soft brown eyes, messy blue hair. 

"I love you," Teddy suddenly let out. His hair reddening, he spluttered. "I'm sorry, this is so not the right time of that. I'm so stupid. You don't have to say it back, okay? I just wanted you to know."

Saige looked up at the boy for a few moments, surprisingly calm. Looking at him, she thought of all the things they had been through together. They hadn't been together long, but it felt like she had known him forever. It was like she never started living, until him. Until he came along and stumbled across the mess of a girl with a sharp tongue and a glare that could kill. One that hid bruises and cuts far too expertly for such a young girl. One who never let anyone in, keeping her heart guarded like it was the most dangerous thing in the world. But, really, that's what he loved about her. He loved her confidence and her sarcasm. He loved that she let him into her turbulent life, let him help her. Selfishly, he loved that she chose him, and only him, to let into her heart. 

"I love you too."

AN: Sorry for the wait!!! I work and study full time I'm trying my best :) Thanks for reading xx