Nine

You woke the next morning back in your bed, but you couldn't remember going there during the night. Tae's arms wrapped around your waist his leg tossed over yours, your back pressed to his chest. His slow warm breath brushed your ear.  You rolled over tucking your head downward below his chin. You breathed deeply, taking in the clean scent of his skin and the lingering smell of the fabric softener you used. Your fingers tugged the hem of his shirt up and you pressed your hands against his stomach.

"I'm so sorry about last night princess." His morning voice rumbled above you, heavy with regret and emotion.

You startled awake hearing a door slam shut. You sat up, still on the couch. It hadn't been real, not Tae's guilt about last night, not his wish for forgiveness. Things were not the way they used to be, and in your heart you knew they could never be again.

It was Saturday and you weren't working. You laid your head back against the pillow, your heart too heavy to fall back to sleep. You just heard his words over and over again in your head. 'I blame you' and 'I don't want you here' were so clear.

"I'll be home around six, can we talk then?" You looked up at Tae, he stood across from you the coffee table in front of him. The words felt like they should be offering comfort, a signal that he wanted to work through everything but his tone was as angry as it had been last night.

Not trusting yourself to speak without betraying your emotions, you nodded. Tae turned quickly and walked away, you heard him retrieve his keys from the hallway bowl then moments later the quiet whoosh of the elevator that would take him straight to the private garage.

You dragged your pillows and blanket from the couch and tossed them back on the bed. You made the bed like you did every morning, smoothing the blankets gently. Taehyung used to throw the pillows back on recklessly to annoy you. Your heart clenched at a happy memory. Sitting down you held your phone out in front of you. You knew everything you needed to do. You felt a little guilty using Hybe resources but it was the only way to ensure the task was done in time.

You text one of the PAs and asked her to have someone deliver moving boxes. You explained that you were doing some redecorating you'd been putting off. Could she please not tell Tae so it could be a surprise for him when he got home tonight? Also could they move the boxes to a storage unit? You'd send the details shortly. She agreed, you never doubted she would. They all did exactly as they were told, this was BTS after all, as one of their girlfriends you seldomly got questioned.

Within the hour a moving company delivered a towering stack of blue plastic moving boxes and you got to work. You made decisions quickly and without feeling starting in the bedroom. Clothing was packed, unless it was an expensive designer gift from Tae or was BTS merch. Your endless stacks of books required a full ten boxes. Pictures of family and friends, packed, pictures of you and Tae were not.

After two hours you only had your jewelry left. You sorted through it carefully. The massive jewelry box itself was a present from Jungkook on your birthday. You decided to take it. You picked out all the items you'd bought yourself, or were gifts from friends and family. You looked down at the items from Tae. Couples rings, necklaces, earrings of every kind and several bracelets. You knew the most expensive items were in the safe and you weren't going to even bother with them anyway. You had the combination but had never opened it.

Were you really going to leave all of it? Your fingers traced a gold necklace with a tiny A initial. He'd given it to you when you'd chosen your daughter's name. You'd take this one, but only this one.

Everything packed you walked room to room, checking for anything forgotten. Your life boxed up was unremarkable. You realized almost everything belonged to Taehyung. The furniture, decor, the entire contents of the kitchen were already in place when you'd moved in, you'd not contributed anything substantial. You paused in front of the guest bedroom then took a breath and went in.