Alone Together - II

CHAPTER 22

"I lost my mom..." (y/n) spoke, eyes forward watching the sun set down. Billie had already positioned herself next to the girl, legs straight in front of her and leaning back a little using her arms for support.

Billie had never gotten this close to learn anything personal about the girl's life, it was uncharacteristic of her to poke her nose into someone's business. She cared-God, she cared so much. She wanted to know more about the girl beyond what she had in her mind for the past months they had known each other. Sure, they had gotten so intimate yet they were still about to reach the point of learning from each other and not just based on their own observations.

Billie wanted (y/n) to be the one to initiate the conversation about this certain subject. She wanted her to be ready and that time had come. Right now.

With a pitiful look, Billie reached her hand out to nudge on the girl's fingers that were drawing random shapes on the sand. (y/n) knew that look so then an explanation quickly followed.

"No she did not passed away...I-she had an affair. I guess she got tired with our family and just disappeared with another guy. I was eleven." Smile beamed a weak smile, it was not a forceful one, she did not do it to assure Billie that she was fine.

She heaved a breath, shifting closer to the woman and resting her head on Billie's shoulder. "Now I don't know anything about her. I wasn't born in the city, but you know I told myself I would look for her. When I was fourteen she sent me a letter for my birthday and it was addressed from L.A so I thought she was living there."

It was hard to swallow the pain that was bursting in. She felt her mother's betrayal all over again. But then she chose this, she chose to reminisce the memory, to share it with Billie.

"When I was seventeen I forced my sister to move out with me but I did not tell her that it was because of our mother. A year after that our father moved in with us leaving everything in Michigan. I guess we all needed a fresh start, that place was too painful." Billie continued on with the comforting strokes of her hand on the girl's back, it was not doing much but (y/n) appreciated the gesture. At least she knew that Billie was in this.

She place a soft peck on the woman's peeking collarbone before continuing, "She worked double shifts and I worked from five pm to twelve midnight at the diner for six days a week because during the day I was at school I was the only one my family was counting on. Life was not fair."

Now this information broke her...her heart ached imagining the life the girl had been through. At seventeen, Billie was comfortingly surrounded with all of her needs, her wants were fulfilled. Not once she had to work just so she could have the money to serve their meal.

"I remembered my sister crying because she couldn't handle it anymore, she was often sleep deprived and so I had to bust my ass harder for extra jobs. Then she met her boyfriend-Julie's father...life just became a lot harder." She laughed at it, though back then she cried almost every night thinking of ways to survive.

"I was lucky enough to save up for college after working most of the summer. It was going well, students were paying for two hours of tutoring, sometimes I do their essays, research reports, and basically anything else just to earn money. Then I got to afford moving into my own place-it was an achievement."

Now there was a proud tiny grin on her face, Billie looked down her thumb brushing the side of (y/n) jaw.

"Well you're a brilliant person...and I admire you for it."

"Yeah then...you barged in-like literally and figuratively. Stealing the simplicity of my life but you also saved me at the same time."

Oh she could never forget it. The first sober night Billie had her pressed down on the kitchen counter, and her tongue exploring the woman's mouth. That particular image in her head caused her cheeks to grow red.