FOURTEEN

After spending hours on Facetime with Lily, the girl decided not to tell Paxton about the date. It's not like she owed the boy anything. She knew nothing would happen between her and EJ because one she wouldn't let anything happen and two she just didn't see EJ that way. Her feelings for Paxton were too strong and dating another guy to get over Paxton just didn't feel right to her.

So here she was munching on her cheese sticks, sitting next to Paxton listening to whatever Trent was going on about.

"So party at my house this weekend. Parents are out of town. My cousin's taking me to Bevmo to get boozes." Trent said.

Everyone nodding at the boy. Paxton turning to the girl who has been quieter than usual. "You coming?"

Carly didn't want to go, mainly because the boy was always such a party pooper when it came to parties. He wouldn't let the girl drink because of their dumb rule they made back in freshmen year. 

And the more she saw Paxton, the guiltier she felt about the date with EJ which she tried to convince herself it was nothing. 

Eventually Carly nodded, agreeing with them. "Yeah. I'll be there."

Paxton smiled. "Great. You okay? You're quieter than usual."

Carly shrugged. "Just tired that's all. Was up all night finishing my dumb pre-calc homework."

Paxton nodded. "For sure. You can have fun this weekend. But not too much fun because season is coming up and you remember our rule. No drinking..."

"During season. Yes I remember Pax. Don't gotta remind me every year." Carly said, rather passive aggressively. She didn't mean it to come out like that. But she was tired of Paxton reminding her every year about their dumb rule of no drinking during season which he made and Carly being too head over heels for the boy stupidly agreed. Now she's starting to regret it. It's not like she drinks too much to the point where she blacks out. She knows her limits. But sometimes a nice drink or two could help with her stressful life. 

Paxton always had this hold on her. Like he was controlling her without even knowing it. And it pissed Carly off. She was her own person. If she wanted to drink at Trent's party this weekend, she should be able to. 

Who is Paxton to tell her what she can and can't do? 

"Ok?" Paxton said, confused at the girl's sudden outburst. "You sure everything's ok?"

"Yeah. I said I was didn't I?"

"I don't know you're just crankier than usual that's all. Is it that time of the month?"

Carly groaned. "No. Just because I'm cranky does not mean it's because of that. I can be cranky if I want. God what is wrong with everyone these days. It's the 21st century. Girls are allowed to have off days without everyone thinking they're on their period." Carly practically shouted before grabbing her purse and walking away from the group. 

Paxton just watched as the girl disappeared back into the school building. He turned his attention back to his friends. He knew better than to go after her, especially when she's in a mood.