FORTY-SEVEN

Sunday came. Eddie and Lily weren't joking when they said they would stop by the girl's house again last night. They brought her favorite tacos from this taco trunk 30 minutes away where they lived. They spent their dinner eating it quietly. The couple not knowing what to say. They didn't know what to tell the girl. They barely knew the entire story.

Carly ignored all of Paxton's texts. He was blowing up her phone, leaving her multiple voicemails. 

Running away from him for another day, she occupied her time watching Outer Banks again. During the fight between the Pogues and Kooks, she heard the door bell ring.

She groaned and walked down stairs to the door. She opened it without looking who it was and suddenly regretted it. She tried closing it but the person there wouldn't let her.

"What do you want Paxton?" Carly asked the boy.

"Can I come in?" Paxton asked.

Carly sighed, leaving the door to walk to the living room. Paxton walked in and closed the door, following the girl to the couch.

"How are you?" He asked.

"Whatever."

"Is everything ok?"

Carly scoffed. "Is everything ok? Is everything ok? Do you think everything's ok?"

"Huh?" Paxton was confused. 

"Did you and Devi kiss?" Paxton's eyes widened. How did she know?

"Um... I..."

"Don't you dare lie to me."

Paxton looked down. He wanted to lie. Tell her it didn't happen, but either way, she'll find out anyway. "We did."

Carly nodded. "Do you like her or something?"

"No. Why would you ask that?"

Carly shrugged. "You don't kiss someone for no reason. Just say you like her so I can save both of us a heartbreak."