Chapter 12

Y/n's POV:

"Is that really you, Mrs. Afton?" I asked slowly. She nodded and put her arms out for a hug, smiling. Without any hesitation, I fell into her arms.

"You're alive... you're really alive..." I cried.

"It's okay," she said, gently patting my back.

I was going to question how she was still here since Michael told me that she had died, but for now, that didn't matter to me. I just wanted to spend a moment acknowledging the fact that she was finally here with me again. After three years, she was finally here with me.

After a couple moments, I decided to speak up and ask her about what happened, and how she had ended up like this. I pulled out of the hug and looked up at her once again.

"But... how? Michael told me that you died in a car accident. How are you still alive?" I took a second to remember everything about William, then gasped quietly under my breath. No, he couldn't have done this to his own wife. Nobody is that cruel, right? Surely, he still had some sanity. "William... did he do this to you?" Mrs. Afton quickly shook her head.

"No! Of course not." she paused for a moment. "Well... he did, in a way."

"What?! He intentionally put you through this?" I exclaimed, looking down. This was completely insane.

"/Yn, let me explain," she stopped me. I took a deep breath and looked back up at her.

"I did get in a car accident. It happened about a year and a half ago. I was waiting for William to come home one day, since he had frequently been staying out until early in the morning.

"Well... the one day that I finally caught him coming home at around 2:30 in the morning... he wasn't how I expected to find him. Something was... different about him."

"And... What was so different?" I questioned slowly. Mrs. Afton took a deep breath before speaking up again...

It was early in the morning; I had been sitting there for hours just waiting for William to come home, when finally I heard the door start to creak open.

"William!" I gasped, flying out of my chair. "Oh, Will, where on earth have you be-" I stopped in my steps once he fully stepped inside of the house. His clothes were stained with blood, and he had a gun in his hand. His eyes widened once he saw me.

"...William?"

"Clara! What are you doing awake at this time?" William blurted in surprise.

"I was waiting for you to come home, so that I could finally see why you kept staying out so late!" I yelled. "But I didn't expect to see you coming home like... this!"

"Clara, it's not what it looks like-!"

"It's 'not what it looks like'? You're covered in blood and have a gun in your hand! That can only mean one thing!"

"Shh!" he shushed me. "Don't wake up Michael; I don't want him to see me like this!"

"And why not? Because you don't want him to see that his dad's psychotic?!" I growled.

"I'm not psychotic!" he protested. "It was self defense, alright? I got attacked by someone on the streets, and I had no choice but to defend myself! Do you really think I would do anything that extreme?"

"Why would you just happen to have a gun on you in the first place, then?" He didn't respond to my question. I scoffed.

"That's just... disgusting."