Chapter 19

Y/n's POV:

 A couple months had passed since Michael and I had started dating. Things had stayed pretty consistent, but I couldn't complain. I was happy that way.

Michael and I had both got different, simple jobs so that we could earn enough money to buy an apartment and move in with each other. And as for Chris and Elizabeth, we were hoping that they could stay with us; we'd just have to see how things turned out.

I was happy to see Michael finally happy again. When I first reunited with him a couple months before—and to be honest, as well as when we were younger—he had things pretty hard.

Since me and Michael's shifts for work were at pretty similar times, we still got to spend a lot of time with each other. It wasn't too bad really; they were from around 8:00 in the morning to 5:00 in the evening. Not to mention, it was nice to be on a sleeping schedule that was actually similar to everyone else's.

Michael and I had finally told Chris and Elizabeth the truth about their dad. It wasn't easy considering how serious of a thing it was that he was a literal murderer; and it definitely wasn't easy for them to take the news at first either.

They still hadn't seen their dad yet, and we weren't sure when they would get to. But they would someday when the time was right. I mean, they still loved him, considering he was their dad. And so did Michael... I think. It was hard to tell.

However, they did get to see their mom several times. We explained to her everything that had happened to Chris, which took her by surprise, but she was still very happy to know that he was okay again.

Overall, things were going practically perfect. I felt as if I never wanted things to change.

But of course... things don't always go as planned.

Michael's POV:

I was sitting on the couch, spending time with Elizabeth while I waited for y/n to come home from work. It was 5:15 by now, so she would likely be coming home soon.

Chris—on the other hand—was spending time with Ennard upstairs. I offered for him to spend time with Eli and I, but he had been wanting to get to know Ennard and Lolbit better. I wasn't quite sure why.

Sure enough, within a couple of minutes, I heard the doorbell ring. I was a bit confused, since y/n had a key and I would've expected her to unlock the door herself. But I didn't think much of it.

"Finally! It's about time she got here!" Elizabeth exclaimed.

"Hey! Have you really gotten that bored of me?" I teased.

"Oh come on, are you not excited to see your girlfriend?"

"I'm joking, Eli," I chuckled. "Of course I'm excited to see her. Come on, let's go answer the door."

We both walked over to the front door to let y/n inside. Elizabeth unlocked the door before I could and opened it.

"Y/n, we're so glad you came ho-" Elizabeth began, but stopped once she realized it wasn't y/n. She looked up only to see someone who I most definitely was not expecting to see...

It was dad.

"Elizabeth?" he whispered in disbelief, not even looking over at me.

"Dad? Is that really you?" she asked. Without answering, he leaned down and gave her a hug.

"Elizabeth... I missed you so much..." he said.

"I... I missed you too, dad," she cried. "I thought I'd never see you again..."