Chapter Thirty One: Birthday Special (Part Two)

It was pitch black inside, removing our sights. I couldn't tell where Ash was, but I had a vague idea. Mostly because there was a certain someone under my feet. While I had leapt gracefully down, Ash had somewhat tumbled down, clearly unaware of what was beneath.

"Hey, Ash, are you here?" I asked, getting off his back.

"Yeah. I fell down pretty badly. Pikachu's somehow escaped the fall, though." Ash replied.

Cinderace relit its torch, illuminating both its face and my own. I held out a hand, and Ash helped himself up.

"Thanks." he nodded.

I could now see his face in the bright light of Cinderace's torch.

"Well, that was some entrance. You sure this is the right place?" I asked, brushing dust off my hands.

"Yeah, certain. Come one, this way."

He gestured to a sign that said "This way", which was rather anti-climatic, in my opinion. I accepted it, though, and journeyed on.

Immediately, a Noivern leapt out of the darkness, and an open ceiling appeared right above us.

"Well, ready for the ride, Admiral L/N?" Ash grinned.

I laughed sarcastically.

"You've got the wrong transport, but let's just move on."

I let out my Galarian Articuno, then climbed on.

"Get on the Noivern, and show me the way, because as you can tell, I don't know where we're going. Or at least, where we're supposed to be going."

Ash climbed aboard his Noivern, looking somewhat exhausted.

"And I had brought Noivern all the was from Kalos just to let you see him, too." he complained, though I could tell he didn't really mean it."

He pointed to an island across the water, one that looked strangely familiar.

"Wait, hang on, are you sure-"

I was cut off by the impact of Noivern's wings, speeding across the air. I smirked at Ash, who was smiling victoriously.

"We can do a lot better than that, Articuno. Let's give them a run for their money." I said to it.

It tore the air into pieces with its wings, dashing across until we were ahead of Ash and Noivern.

"Hey, that's not fair! You have a Legendary Pokemon!" he yelled, although it was obvious that he wasn't actually annoyed.

"You think Articuno just hopped into my Pokeball?" I asked sarcastically. "Besides, what's not fair is you getting a head start."

Ash raised his eyebrows, and smiled.

"Well, if you want a race, then so be it."

"And if you want to lose to me in a race, then so be it." I retorted, increasing my speed.

We raced each other all the way to the island, taunting and laughing and just enjoying ourselves. I had barely paid attention to the destination, until we saw it clearly from the distance.

"That... That isn't Wedgehurst by any chance, is it?" I asked, clearly confused.

Ash grinned.

"Well, we thought you'd like to celebrate your birthday in your home town."

"We?"

"Alright, she's here!" yelled Ash, clapping his hands loudly.

At once, all of my friends - with the addition of their Pokemon - sprung out of their hiding places, with many of them holding a cake that was towering over us.

"Well, what do you rate this birthday?" Ash asked, nudging me with his elbow.

"It's cliché, and so much like some birthday in a picture book." I said, though I was smiling. "But I suppose I ought to acknowledge your effort."

Everyone gathered around for a commemorative photo. I really hate photo taking, but they pretty much dragged me into it, so I have no choice.

"So," said Ash, admiring the cake. "What do you think of our preparations?"

"Well, could be better." I grinned.