Chapter Thirty Nine: A Year Ago...

She looked down, unable to say anything. Guilt flooded her expressions, her features in a poignant sincerity. Goh smiled, and Chloe did the same. Now that her head was down, she noticed that their fingers were intertwined.

Why did I notice now of all times?  she thought.

'You don't need to explain,' said Goh, nodding. 'We know you're the type of person who always tries to deal with problems herself.'

'Always keeping to herself.' added Ash.

'Seemingly reserved and quiet, but she's stronger than anyone you'd know.' Chloe continued.

'I'm not.'

The words burst out of her more quickly than she'd intended.

'Quit being modest!' Ash grinned. 'That's you.'

'Our friend, Y/N L/N. The one we can always count on.'

I hated myself. Hated myself for thinking they'd just forget about me. That our friendship could so easily be forgotten. Truth be told, even if they forgot me, I would never forget them. Ash, who was the first person to speak to me so kindly. Goh, who always respected me as a friend and in whatever I did. Chloe, who I had helped with her Pokemon understandings.

Yes.

I could never, ever, forget them.

'I'm not really one for emotional conversations,' said Ash nonchalantly, 'so let's go inside. We don't need to talk about it. You understand what you were doing. We understood as well.'

She had never known Ash understood her so well. The fact that he loved her was clearer than ever now, but she still didn't know what to do.

I cannot love anyone, she had once thought.

Platonic love, family love, she hadn't felt any of them. Her parents treated her like an object, always needing her to do more, only to serve them like a slave. She had shunned herself away from the outside world.

But all that changed when she met Scorbunny. Maybe her life hadn't perked up like rays of sunshine, but Scorbunny had made her life worth living.

Now that she thought about it, Ash and Goh had too, and even Chloe, who, despite not knowing her as long as Ash and Goh did, still considered her a friend.

I've been lying to myself, she thought. Their friendship... Had I actually not cared about them, I wouldn't have felt the guilt I did when I left them to kill Rose.

'Thank you.' she said quietly.

Perhaps no one heard it, and even if they did, Y/N wasn't sure exactly what she was thanking them for. Being there for her, helping her, and being her friends...

She was thanking them for all of those things.

She remembered now, how Ash had cared about her when she disappeared into the night, and was ready to help her with taking down Rose.

At last, she realised.

She pulled on Ash's hand, then gestured to the garden. He understood, and the two ran over to a deserted spot on the luscious green field.

'I have something important I have to tell you.' she began, but Ash cut her off.

'It's about Rose, right? Then-'

'No, it's-'

'It's okay, I get it. But before that, I have to say something-'

'No, I have to say something.'

'I love you.'

The two said it at the same time. Y/N blinked.

'Ah, it's embarrassing when I say it out loud.' Ash grinned.

'I'm sorry it took me so long to realise.' Y/N said hurriedly.

'It only took 39 chapters,' he pointed out.

'Hah,' she replied thoughtfully. 'I guess you're right.

Ash slipped his fingers in hers, and she smiled at him.

'So, shall we join the others?' he asked.

'No, not yet.'

She looked at the sky above, a ray of infinite routes and paths she would take. Becoming a Champion of all the regions, a Pokemon Professor, even, she didn't know how and why she became those things.

All she knew was that she was with him.

With their friends.

And that was something she would never question.

--End--

Author's Note: It's the end of Secrets of Galar! It's been one year since I first published it, and I didn't realise it would become this popular (haha)! I don't usually write romance fiction, so I didn't think that it would go this far.

As to a sequel, would any of you be interested in me writing one? I know I announced on earlier, just wanted to ask for  your opinions. After all, you are the ones who made this book as popular as it is!

Until next time!

-Luna