Chapter One: Upon a Starry Sky

Darkness.

All Y/N L/N could see was darkness.

It was late at night, and she and her Pokemon were utterly exhausted. 

"It sure gets dark in Galar,  huh..." she murmured. "We should set up camp. We are going to Hammerlocke City tomorrow, after all." Cinderace nodded, and proceeded to make a campfire. Y/N was not going to Hammerlocke for fun, nor for collecting Gym Badges. She had collected all of them, and became the champion of all the regions.

She always put on a cloak, for she was too timid to battle as the shy person she was. Under the alias Enigma, she felt slightly more confident, and became the Legendary Pokemon trainer. 

Tomorrow was not about that, though. Y/N looked up at the sky. She could still remember that faithful day...

Y/N's Memory

A H/C haired girl wandered out the back of the garden. She had escaped from the orphanage at last, after five miserable years. Pulling her satchel over her shoulder, her eyes gleamed with curiosity at a rustling in the bushes. She stood in a defensive stance.

"Scorbun!" A Fire type rabbit leaped out, juggling a stone with its feet.

"I know you!" she exclaimed. "You're the Galarian Fire type starter, aren't you? You evolve into a Raboot, then into a Cinderace."

It nodded. It was a solitary Scorbunny, unwilling to be caught. It had no idea where it came from, except it hatched from an egg. Even so, it couldn't remember its birthplace, or who took care of it.

Y/N was the same. She had been raised in an orphanage, with no idea who her parents were. All she knew was that they were dead. Dreading her time in the orphanage, she always wanted to escape, like those heroines in books she read. She had known from experience to trust no-one.

There they were. A Scorbunny and a girl, raised by themselves and trusting nobody. Four weeks later, coincidentally also Y/N's birthday, they became the best of friends, however distant they may appear to everyone else.

After catching and raising four pokemon to their maximum evolutions, namely Hatterene, Inteleon, Rillaboom and Cinderace, she came back to her home, Wedgehurst. From there, a man told her that a mansion called L/N Manor had been destroyed 10 years ago.

Precisely when she was born.

Now, she stared at the old ruin, mystified. She carefully stepped in, and went inside an old research lab. There were so many drawers, cupboards and books. Reaching to get one, her grasp slipped, and the book opened.

Y/N L/N.

Her name was on a page, scrawled there in gold ink. She picked up a quill, dipped it in some ink and began writing.

Who, me?

The words magically appeared in response.

Who else? I presume you are here to find out...who you are?

She dropped the book. She had read stories about this, and eventually the girl writing in the diary got possessed. Cautiously, she wrote a few words, letters filling the parchment.

Are you going to possess me?

The book's pages flipped of its own accord, as if shaking its head.

No, my dear Y/N. I am in fact, the spirit of your ancestor.

Ancestor? Y/N looked suspicious.

Haven't you...passed away?

Y/N thought the last line was a bit insensitive to her ancestor. She wasn't very socialised, so she had never spoken to anyone as old as her ancestor was.

Don't believe me? Look in the topmost drawer. You'll find two Pokeballs. One is an Eternatus, and the other is Zamazenta. To find your destiny, you must find Zacian.

Y/N, albeit puzzled, obliged, and found precisely what her ancestor had told her.

From then on, she had a new goal: to find how her parents died.

To find out who she was.

Flashback ends.

Y/N pitched the tent. Quite fortunately she did so, for it began to rain, to her dismay. She motioned for her Pokemon to come in. The tent was not a luxurious one, but it was quite large, big enough to house her and her Pokemon.

"It's too bad..." she murmured. "The campfire's probably died out." 

She shivered, and brought out the kettle she had put on before the rain. 

"I-it's beginning to get c-cold." she said, her teeth chattering. She pulled her coat tighter, and clutched her scarf.

"T-that reminds me. We're going to Alola t-tomorrow as well. Right after Hammerlocke." She took out a silver watch from underneath the ruffled folds of her coat. It was something she had found in the research laboratory, and she had found it was useful for tracking down Zacian. It was currently pointing in the direction of Melemele Island in Alola. She couldn't imagine why it wouldn't prefer sunny skies over rainy days. It was partially a Steel type, in its Crowned Shield form. As science says, water rusts metal.

Y/N had alway thought starry skies were pretty. Two hours later, she stuck her head outside, and was pleased to find the rain had stopped. 

"Want to find constellations with me?" she asked, and all her Pokemon agreed. They enjoyed a pleasant hour finding stars upon a clear night sky.

"Ah... If only we could sleep out here today. Though, we can't, for it will rain again at midnight precisely. Let's come back inside." 

The Pokemon followed their trainer, who was checking her phone for the weather.

"It shouldn't be this cold tomorrow. I wonder how different Alolan stars look. I've only been there for my Z-Crystals and the League. It was more of, as Caesar famously declared, 'I came, I saw, I conquered', though we didn't do much of the 'I saw' part. We may have some spare time left. That is, if we manage to find Zacian." 

She stared at Zamazenta's Pokeball. He and Eternatus had to stay in their balls, for they were too big to fit in. As large as the tent was, it could only fit so many Pokemon. They didn't mind though. However, that was not what Y/N was wondering about.

Around the ball were gold letters, displaying the start of a message.

Only he who is just and loyal_____________________________.

The only way, Y/N knew, was to find Zacian's Pokeball, and decrypt the message.

Author's Note

Thank you to Q-QUACKZZZ for designing the cover! It's looks truly amazing, thank you! Hope you enjoy the first chapter!

P.S: I redid the banner! Hope you like it!

-Luna