Chapter Thirty Two: Departure

"Here's your ticket, ma'am. Have a good flight."

The monotonous voice of the flight attendant rang out, cool and breezy. Her voice seemed half-uninterested, but Y/N supposed she was just doing her job.

"Thank you." Y/N supplied courteously.

She tucked a bit of hair behind her ear, perhaps not noticing Y/N at all. Y/N rolled her E/C eyes exasperatedly, then walked away briskly.

I wish I could say goodbye to Ash, Goh, and the others, she thought. However, time is not on my side, and I must hurry.

"Y/N! Y/N! Y/N!"

The mentioned girl turned her head around, her hood masking her face. There stood Ash, running after her.

"Oh, no, no, no, no." muttered Y/N, pulling her hood over her hair.

The shadow-coloured hood masked her face. She really hoped Ash wouldn't notice her, but it was a bit late for hope now. Decisively, she turned around to face him, her eyes cold and stoic.

"You shouldn't be here." she said in a low voice. "You don't have a ticket."

Ash waved his own ticket in the air, which Y/N looked at impassively.

"Just leave. It'll be better this way, trust me." she said sharply, and turned on her heel.

Ash grabbed her wrist, to which she glared at bitterly.

"Y/N."

He looked into her eyes, which bore disdain and contempt.

"Trust me." he said, putting a hand on her shoulder. "Why are you leaving?"

"I'm not leaving far." retorted Y/N, slapping his hand off. "I have to stop Rose. You saw what happened. They targeted you because of me."

The air remained silent for a bit.

"You know," said Ash, desperate to break the silence. "None of us underestimate your strength."

Y/N rolled her eyes.

"You're awfully different when you're just yourself. You're more sarcastic, more sharp, more... you."

"You don't have to be friends with me anymore." she said shortly.

"Yeah, I know," he said momentarily. "But I want to be. Let us help you, Y/N. We chose to help you. You didn't drag us in."

"Oh, alright, then." she said, but Ash noticed her eyebrows slightly become less menacing. Just ever so slightly. "Start by packing your bags. Pass the message. We're leaving at midnight, sharp."

Ash nodded, then dashed off, Pikachu on his shoulder. Y/N waited until he could no longer see here, then ran off towards her flight.

"It's for their sake." she told herself. "They'll be better off forgetting I was ever their friend."

She picked up her F/C suitcase, then hurried over to board her flight. 

"Goodbye... Ash, Goh. This is for your own sake. I'm sorry, but you must not contact me in anyway." she muttered.

Cinderace stood by her side. The two knew that Ash would continue to try and find her, no matter what it took. He was so stubborn at times, which was both an asset and an annoyance. Because of this, Y/N decided to call in an accomplice.

"Espeon?" she said, letting it out. "I want you to tail Ash, then Teleport back and report to me. Got it?"

It nodded silently, then dashed off into the shadows.

"They'll be fine, I'm sure of it." said Y/N.

But deep inside, she felt like they would not be.