Pact

A/n
Hello! It's great to be back and posting another story. In case you didn't read the previous bit of information, I will be updating on Tuesdays until this is done. Also, it's my first day of school so wish me luck! I hope everyone who's in school right now is doing well. Here's the first chapter :)

I sit on a bench, my brother, Shotaro, sitting to my left and Akimitsu on my right as I stare at the TV screen, Maeshima gliding elegantly across the ice. Akimitsu is the only one in my grade, but we haven't talked much. He seems nice though. I had never been very good at figure skating. It's all I can do is slide across the ice without falling on my face or butt. Despite this, I am fascinated by it.

"It's the All-Japan novice championships! The skater on the ice right now is fifth grader Kensei Maeshima." A male announcer says as Maeshima does some quick leaps and twirls while the crowd behind him cheers. It looks so cool!

"He landed that double axel beautifully. Well done, he should be proud." A female announcer says.

"Reo Shinozaki currently has a healthy lead, but Maeshima could still turn the tables on him. Maeshima's parents, who were also his coaches and former pro skaters themselves, were tragically lost in a car accident two months ago. He's overcome quite a lot to be here." The male announcer explains.

"It's notable that in past championships he's always been etched out by Shinozaki. He seems more determined than ever before if we can judge by his performance here today." The female announcer says while Maeshima continues with his routine, crouching low to the ground as he spins before straightening up into an ending pose as the music cuts out. He's amazing... his movements are so full of energy. "He landed every jump perfectly. We can expect solid marks."

"Let's see. Any moment now..." the male announcer says, building up the anticipation of the crowd as Maeshima's score appears on screen next to Shinozaki's. "Oh wow! He was just three tenths of a point shy. The champion is, once again, Reo Shinozaki!" The male announcer says as the top three skaters stand on the placing blocks, Shinozaki in first, Maeshima in second, and my brother in third. Shotaro did pretty well today, but I still think that Maeshima should have beat Shinozaki. Not that Shinozaki's skating isn't wonderful or anything.

5 Years Later

"Shinozaki. You've won the Japan championships four times in a row. Why switch to skate-leading now?" A female reporter asks.

"This was my plan all along. In fact, I've already submitted the paperwork." Shinozaki replies calmly.

"People expected you to debut at the Seniors now that your in high school. What made you decide to do this?" A male reporter asks.

"Making this decision was necessary in order for me to grow." Shinozaki responds, once again with no visible reaction.

"As you know, many of your rivals from your younger days have transitioned over to skate-leading. Are you looking forward to seeing and competing against them once again?" Another reporter asks.

"I'm not interested in that. As an athlete I have one goal, no matter what I'm competing at, I just aim for the top." He says monotonously before I switch off the screen. In the past five years, my brother and all his skating friends had turned to skate-leading at Iondai High School, and I had become a manager of sorts. Yuki, Akimitsu's brother, had also become a manager after acquiring an injury to prevent him from skating. Speaking of Akimitsu, we had also become really close as we are in the same grade. There is another second year on the team though. His name is Sota Jonouchi. Me and Akimitsu hang out with him quite a bit as well. After cleaning up, we lock up the club room and exit the building. When we get outside, we come face to face with Maeshima and a couple of other first years.