Indecision

A/n
Thank you for 60+ reads! I don't really have anything else to say other than I had a great time writing this chapter, but here's today's chapter :)

The day of the first competition in the Grand Prix series arrives in the blink of an eye, my stomach churning from the nerves as I sit in the stands by Yuki and Sasugai, staring down at the teams. I fiddle with the small object in my pocket. I'm not even going out on the ice and I'm this nervous....

"At last, this year's season is officially open. The boys skate-leading Grand Prix series! Which of Japan's top teams will prevail as number one this year? All sixteen schools have gathered here for the opening ceremony at Makinohara Ice Arena!" An announcer says.

"We will now have last year's winner return the championship flag. Welcome, St. Clavis Gakuin High of Tokyo prefecture." Another announcer says. Himuro carries the flag over to a man, handing it over to him before the announcer starts speaking again. "Your attention please. As third year at St. Clavis High School, Taiga Himuro recites the oath." Then, Himuro steps up to a microphone in front of him.

"In the name of all athletes present, we promise always to uphold the spirit of skate-leading. For the many people involved to have lent us their assistance, for the judges, the referees, and our loyal supporters, we promise to skate fairly and honorably. That we may do justice to the sport we love. I hope that this competition will benefit our collective future by heightening the popularity of skate-leading, helping more people to understand it and increasing the number of disciplined participants. Formalities aside, this will be a two month long venture so we're in it for the long haul. Take care of yourselves, but please, have fun. Third year, captain of St. Clavis Gakuin, Taiga Himuro." He says, applause following after his voice finishes echoing throughout the room. After the opening ceremony finishes up, everyone leaves the center, freeing up the rink for the teams skating today. I excuse myself and turn on my phone, putting on a program with some people talking about the Grand Prix.

"For those who need a reminder, I will now review the rules for he boys high school skate-leading Grand Prix series." An announcer says. That's certainly a mouthful. "The competing teams consist of the six seeded schools from last year's Gand Prix, plus the ten schools that scored highest at last months preliminaries. This gives us a grand total of sixteen schools. Each school will compete in three matches, all chosen by lottery, that will take place around the country. After the eighth competition is over, the schools with the six top scores will continue on to the Grand Prix finals and are automatically seeded into next year's series. This is our commentator, Miss Abe. Since our first competition takes place right at the end of opening ceremonies, you will see many of our athletes waiting in the stands. Which teams do you have your eyes on this year Miss Abe?"

"First, I would definitely say last year's champions, St. Clavis. Including their captain, Himuro, they have three returning members on their starting team. With the addition of singles champion, Shinozaki, they are indisputably the strongest team here." She says. She didn't mention us.

"Any others?" The male announcer asks.

"I'll also be looking closely at last year's runner up, Nagano Koryo High School and Otaru Technical High School, who placed third. But there's last year's sixth, Chutei University Kamimaezu High School. With their twin aces, the elder, Hajime Ishikawa, and the younger, Susumu Ishikawa, they seem to have honed the unison skating that they're known for." She says. Still nothing.

"What about Iondai High School, who placed fourth last year? Their coach is now the skater Adachi, who is recovering from an injury."

"I'm familiar with Adachi's skill as a skater, but not so much as a coach yet." Miss Abe answers. And still, nothing on our team's actual skill.