Bonds

A/n
Yay, a new chapter. Over the weekend I got my first hate comment ever (Not on this story), so I'd say that's an achievement especially since I went over two years on this platform before getting one on one of my works. Anyways, thank you for 40+ reads! Here's today's chapter :)

A week or so later, we are at a training camp. The boys start with a jog on a track that goes partially through the woods nearby, Maeshima dashing ahead of everyone else. You'd think he'd learn by now that he always tires himself out quicker when he does that. Sure enough, he's left in the dust, the rest of the team even lapping him. I sigh.

"I'm having some deja vu." Yuki says, hovering over Maeshima who is sprawled out in the middle of the track.

"You still have work to do on basic physical fitness." Sasugai comments.

"You're a lap behind you know. You burn yourself out when you go that fast from the beginning." I say.

"Shut up. I can do it... I know I can..." Maeshima says in between his gasps for breath, sitting up quickly.

"Quality over quantity though. Remember that. I know it's hard when you haven't had a trainer." Sasugai says.

"Come on, how long are you going to lay there? You'll never finish like that." Yuki says, clapping his hands a few times.

"Dammit..! I'll show you!" Maeshima exclaims, standing up and running down the track away from us. The Grand Prix is getting closer really fast. This training is going to be vital to them come competition time. Suddenly Yuki lets out a small chuckle.

"What?" I ask.

"Oh nothing, you just look cute when your in deep thought." Yuki says with a small giggle.

"You better not let your brother hear you saying that." Sasugai says with a small smile.

"True. It's not like that between me and (Y/n) though." Yuki says, ruffling my hair.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask, my face heating slightly as I fix my hair.

"Really? I think it's pretty straightforward." Sasugai says.

"Being friends first is a great base for a relationship you know." Yuki says teasingly.

"Where did you even get that from?" I ask, my voice an octave higher than normal.

"Oh come on, it's obvious you have feelings for him too." Sasugai says, rolling his eyes. Do I? We've been friends for so long, I hadn't really considered it. Are they right? Later, we stand in the rink, listening to a lecture from my brother.

"Alright you guys, this year's Grand Prix series is coming up. This is important for us. Needless to say, we're aiming for nationals. To achieve that, first we need to make it to finals. We don't want to cry on the ice because we missed qualifying by a hundredth of a point, right? So we will qualify. We'll reach for every point we can get, and that focus starts here at training camp." Shotaro says.

"Right."

"Yes sir."

"Yeah, right."

"Hold on a minute Maeshima. Please don't tell me you don't even know the rules for the series." Kiriyama says, his eyes ice cold and calculating as always.

"Uh, we just have to win, right?" Maeshima says. Kiriyama huffs, looking annoyed and slightly offended. "No? How is that not the goal?"

"Okay, listen up. The Grand Prix series for high school skate-leading has a total of eight matches. The six schools from last year's finals are seeded. Add the ten who make it through preliminaries for a total of sixteen schools who each compete in three of the eight matches. From there, the six schools with the highest scores are the ones to qualify for finals. They're also seeded in next year's competition. Then, obviously, the top scoring school at finals becomes the the champion. Got all that?" Sasugai explains.