One Lead

A/n
Hi guys, and thank you so much for 125+ reads! I didn't have a very good day yesterday since I was really tired because I had a busy weekend, so I hope yours went better. Here's today's chapter :)

"At the last match you guys definitely discovered a new weapon, but you can't let that fool you into thinking you've already reached the end goal. You should see it as a starting point for developing even better moves to compete with. Just keep in mind, if you sacrifice team cohesion for flair, then you're done. Wing and guards, widen your fields of view. Be mindful of the triangle formation and adjust accordingly. The key is to aim equally for synchronization and skill. You should be striving for a perfect union of unexpected dynamic movement and a precisely calculated routine. Frankly, as far as skilled individuals go, St. Clavis Gakuin and Chutei University High both have us beat, but the skill of this team as a whole is a different story. Alright, let's get to work." Coach Adachi says at the beginning of practice.

"Yes sir!" We answer. Practice begins. Everyone works on what our coach pointed out, and though not everything went smoothly (especially with Maeshima and Kiriyama frequently butting heads), everyone bonded over the shared goal and improved by the day. Our next competition was the seventh of the series, which would be our last match in the preliminaries and would also have a lot riding on it as our results would determine our final positions before the finals. We ended up winning both the short program and free skate, which meant we won the whole seventh competition.

"We're fourth overall!" Tomo says happily, reading the current series results over Sasugai's shoulder.

"Yeah. We've pretty much secured a spot at the Grand Prix finals." Sasugai says with a smirk which leads to part of the team leaping up and cheering in joy. "The fourth competition against Shinozaki's team did it for us. That score would've topped any other match. It made up for our loss at the first competition." Sasugai says while Maeshima turns away with a pout. "Will you stop sulking?"

"I'm not sulking." Maeshima retorts.

"So, Taiga's team is first... I guess we expected that." Yuki says.

"Well, they do have Shinozaki." Tomo says.

"And Chutei High with the Ishikawa brothers as second, huh? No surprise there." Akimitsu says, reading the scores.

"Who's in third and fifth?" Jonouchi asks.

"Hokkaido's Eimei Academy and Ehime's Mastuyama Fukuonji. Both are first timers to the finals and it's the first school from Ehime ever. The top five teams are pretty much set for the finals." Sasugai reports.

"Really?" Aki asks in surprise.

"There's a wide point gap between fifth and sixth. I just don't see it happening, y'know? Not now. There aren't any schools that can clear it with a single match remaining." Sasugai says.

"So, who's in the running for sixth?" I ask.

"There are two left who stand a chance. Himekawa's team, and Kuonji's." He answers before turning on a program featuring Kuonji and his team. I can't wait for his team to loose. The less I see of him the better.

"Wow, you're amazing Kuonji! Didn't you just establish the club this year?" The male interviewer asks.

"Oh, you're too kind. It's all thanks to these guy's hard work." Kuonji says with a close-eyed smile, gesturing the his teammates. They are pop idols, right? They don't seem too bad.

"Well, you've come this far, so I'm assuming you're aiming to take first in the eight competition to qualify for the Grand Prix finals." The interviewer says.